Shingle disks?

Do you want advice about what hardware to buy for use with MythTV? Ask here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PhilB
Senior
Great Britain

Shingle disks?

Post by PhilB »

What is the consensus here on use of shingle disk for recordings (assuming operating system and database are on ssd)? That's also assuming you can tell which disks are shingle!
Phil
blm-ubunet
Senior
Cambodia

Re: Shingle disks?

Post by blm-ubunet »

I've been using 8TB shingled archive HDD for couple years and I've read of others using them..
But I record directly to normal rotating rust 2TB HDD, with system & DB on SSD, & then bulk move recordings to shingled drive each month.
That way the high churn daily repeats/deletes don't make their way to the archive disk.

SSDs are so cheap now, I would just use one for recording.
But even with SSD, I don't think MythTV's file I/O is as performant as it was 4-6 years ago. It still stalls (sometimes) as recording finishes & it hammers the DB.
PhilB
Senior
Great Britain

Post by PhilB »

Thanks for the reply. An interesting approach.
Do you have any mechanism for expiring recordings when even the shingle disk gets full? My understanding is that Myth's expiration only happens if you are recording directly to the partition.
Phil
blm-ubunet
Senior
Cambodia

Post by blm-ubunet »

I should clarify that recordings stay on the 2T HDD disk for 6 months before being moved. So each month, a month's recordings from 6 months ago are moved.
One of the users (Stephen W) on the mailing list has scripts that could automate this.

Both the archive (shingled) disk & 2T HDD are in storage groups.

But (from memory) the shingled disk is in an "Archive" storage group so MythTV does not record to it but can still delete.
I only set expiration on daily news programs.
I don't have a plan for when the archive disk is full but my projections on growth of new recordings suggests that's not going to happen.
PhilB
Senior
Great Britain

Post by PhilB »

Many thanks. Interesting strategy.
Phil