Hardware Dilemma

Do you want advice about what hardware to buy for use with MythTV? Ask here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

se99paj
Junior
Great Britain

Hardware Dilemma

Post by se99paj »

I setup my current combined frontend/backend quite a few years ago using a few spare components, it has been running really well and the only upgrades I have done are adding new HDD's. But I'm starting to run out of storage and was thinking of what I could do.

My current setup is the following:
  • Case: Shuttle SP35P2 Pro
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
    Memory: 2 x 1GB DIMM DDR2 Synchronous 800 MHz
    Gfx: XFX GeForce 8400 GS
    Tuner: Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-T-500
    HDD: 2 x 1TB
I would like to upgrade the system so it has scalable storage, maybe 4+ HDD, but I've hit on a dilemma.

Obviously I'll need a new case that can store 4+ HDD's, also due to my setup the case sits behind my tv it needs to be take up very little room.
A new case means I need a new motherboard, most new motherboards available now don't support my existing components so I would require a new CPU, Memory, tv card (My old one uses a conventional PCI slot)

Also, the mini-ITX mobos don't have two expansion slots so don't have enough room for the Gfx card and tv tuner, think I need to understand the onboard gfx for mITX a bit more

At the end of the day the cost of the upgrade starts to get quite high, does anyone have any suggestions how I could make this a bit cheaper? At the moment I'm thinking upgrade to a 2-3TB HDD and wait another few months until that gets full
metalac
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: Hardware Dilemma

Post by metalac »

How is your home network? If it's wired 100Mbps+ you could build a small NAS server and record to it. Use FreeNAS or something, a relatively cheap computer and a bunch of drives. Might not save you much money, but it will make future storage increases much easier, plus it will let your other computer use that storage for other stuff.
se99paj
Junior
Great Britain

Post by se99paj »

Thanks for the idea, I'll take a look at that.

I may have been too hasty last night, a quick look around the internet and I managed to find a few socket 775 motherboards for £50
Unkle
Newcomer
Denmark

Post by Unkle »

What do you need the GFX card for if I may ask ? Eliminating that card may make it easier/cheaper to upgrade (when only 1 expansion slot is needed on the next mobo).

Im running on an Intel Atom. Mobo is an old Asus AT3ION with a PCI expansion for my TechnoTrend DVB-C card.
warpme
Translator
Poland

Post by warpme »

Sorry for spam - but if You are interested for small, nice MoBo for combined FE/BE with on-board Nv8400 (full VDPAU support on Linux) - I have such for sale. It is small (microATX), has onboard Nvidia8300 with HDMI, 6xSATA, 2xPCI, 2xPCIe, GbLAN, Spdif. I have it with CPU (Athlon PR5000). If You need details - pls PM me.
se99paj
Junior
Great Britain

Post by se99paj »

Thanks for the offer Warpme, I'm looking to try and reuse as many components as I already have and also try to fit in my current media shelf.

The perfect case would be the Streacom FC5, the short height means it will fit on the shelf.

For a combine fe/be I'll need a mini-itx motherboard that supports an LGA 775 processor, I could use an mATX motherboard but that means reduces my HDD options.

I may be able to get my hands on an Intel DG41MJ - can anyone provide any recommendations on this chipset? I'm hoping the video playback will be fine, I'm only recording in SD, no plans for HD just yet.
diyhouse
Senior
Great Britain

Post by diyhouse »

I have read original note and other notes,.. and if you like here I my thoughts of a tech nurd,... these are guaranteed to be different from others and are only offered as food for thought.....

Get the fastest and biggest you can afford,.. without going over board,... I say this because it will give your unit some future proofing,.... A SSD makes a good storage media for a system disk ( 128gig is Plenty,. 64gig will actually do the job ),.. fast a silent!,... use BIG 3T HDD for media Video storage, 1T is a bit small.. yes you have two 1T drives but that just adds to the power and noise signature of your Media centre,.. and ultimately we look for silence..

I use and I5 Quad processor MOBO with onboard graphics,.. and it works a treat,..and supports recording 10Plus programs as well as watching other recordings at the same time... Your CPU is pretty good,.. but its finding a suitable MoBo with the right config of slots that is the challenge.

Don't be put off HD transmissions,.. they are becoming more popular.... and the viewing experience is much better IMHO..

memory,... I'm sure folks will say 2 gigs of RAM is OK,.. but memory is so cheap these days,.. splash some money here,.. its worth it!! I use 8 gigs,.. loads compared to some folks but it gives better future proofing and performance. DDR3 is much cheaper these days than DDR2,.. but that's the issue with a 775 CPU I think,.. as the architecture only supports DDR2... So hence might be worth going the new MoBo route..

Final comment,.. not sure the spec. on your Tuner card,.. but just get a QUAD tuner either SAT / freeview ( if in UK ),.. Myth is just amazing a juggling recording schedules.

that's it,.. I've said my bit,.. feel free to ignore or consider... :-)