HDHomeRun Quatro HDHR5-4DT no channels

Do you want advice about what hardware to buy for use with MythTV? Ask here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

gpw928
Junior
Australia

HDHomeRun Quatro HDHR5-4DT no channels

Post by gpw928 »

Hi,

I live in Australia.

The last time I rebuilt my old MythTV server was 2016. It has a Kaiser Bass HDHomerun dual DVB-T tuner and two USB DVB-T tuners. It works reliably.

I have built a new MythTV server on Debian 10, from the GitHub source, using fixes/30.

The old tuners all work on the new server.

I bought a new HDHomeRunCONNECT QUATRO (HDHR5-4DT) and it won't work on either server. When I scan for channels (from within the MythTV backend setup), no channels are detected.

The symptoms are exactly what I would expect if the antenna were not connected, except it is, to a known good antenna lead that works with the older HDHomeRun. And I have checked to ensure it's seated well.

I have upgraded the firmware to no avail:

Code: Select all

$ hdhomerun_config 1251CD09 upgrade hdhomerun5_dvbt_firmware_20190621.bin
uploading firmware...
upgrading firmware...
rebooting...
upgrade complete - now running firmware 20190621
I'm running out of ideas. Any suggestions?
gpw928
Junior
Australia

Re: HDHomeRun Quatro HDHR5-4DT no channels

Post by gpw928 »

I managed to find the Silicondust Windows 8 application and installed it on my notebook.

I was able to scan and find all expected channels on the HDHomerun DVT-B Connect Quatro from the "hdhomerun_setup" application.

No matter how many times I try, I can not get MythTV for find any channels.

So, it looks like MythTV does not work with it, and I have bought a very expensive paperweight... Ouch!
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

I'm not familiar with the Quatro, but with the HDHomeRun Prime, I do it as described here.
Ted | My blog
gpw928
Junior
Australia

Post by gpw928 »

I decided to fiddle with signal and tuning timeout defaults.

On the new MythV server, I set the signal timeout to 1500 ms (default 1000), and suddenly the channel scan worked.

Suspicious, I set it back to 1000 ms, and it still worked.

So I went over to the old MythTV server, and with no changes at all, the channel scan worked -- this is after DAYS of consistent failures.

I have to assume that poking the new tuner with the Windows App was what made the difference, because I have made no other changes.