WinTV-DualHD

Do you want advice about what hardware to buy for use with MythTV? Ask here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

busbee
Junior
United States of America

WinTV-DualHD

Post by busbee »

I am very excited :D about the Ubuntu 18.04.2 release scheduled for tomorrow 2/7/2019. It includes Linux kernel 4.18 which should have hardware drivers for my WinTV-DualHD usb that allows me to use the second tuner :o . Currently, it is working fine, but only with one tuner. :|
https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ ... nTV-dualHD

I want to make sure I get the configs right, and I am a little confused. :roll:

Should I be adding a "second" tuner or bumping up the max recordings? :mrgreen:
My understanding is that max recordings work for the same frequency, e.g., channels 4.1 and 4.2 but not 4.x and 5.x.
I'm thinking/hoping/believing I should have two completely different tuners / adaperters / frontends :?:
Where should I begin?

The ancillary question would be can I also bump up the max recordings so that I could get 4.1 and 4.2 on each "tuner"? :shock:

Thanks for any help. :P
MikeB2013
Senior
Great Britain

Re: WinTV-DualHD

Post by MikeB2013 »

max recordings is on a per Input Connections basis, so bumping only affects your existing tuner input. If you want to increase max recordings suggest you do so before you add the second tuner (this allows more efficient use the tuners for LiveTV and recordings).

You need to configure the second tuner in mythtv-setup Capture Cards.
As it can use the same Video Source as the first tuner, in mythtv-setup Input Connections just set it up to use the same Video Source.
There is no need to rescan.

Mike
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell »

Latest stable kernel is 4.20.5 and you can get it using ukuu. It may have a later driver for your tuner card.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.
jksj
Senior
Great Britain

Post by jksj »

The driver for WinTV-DualHD works fine in kernel 4.18 I have been using it for the last 3 months as part of Ubuntu 18.10.
busbee
Junior
United States of America

Post by busbee »

That is so Exciting @jksj - I am looking forward to it!

The good news:
I set the max recordings to 3 and viola it works: I can record/watch up to 3 channels on the same frequency, i.g, 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3. Nice :D
It did prevent me (as expected) from changing channels to another frequency, i.g., 6.1.

The bad news:
Ubuntu pushed back the release for 18.04.2 until Valentines day 2/14/2019, a week, for a last minute bug :(
No problem, I have waited months, I can wait a few more days.

I know I can use ukuu, but a want the stable version. I have gotten ahead of myself in the past (using bleeding edge versions) and had bad bugs that made open source look unappealing. :oops: Thx @wesnewell.
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell »

Latest stable version 4.20.7.
https://www.kernel.org/
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.
cliveb
Senior
Great Britain

Post by cliveb »

Just stumbled across this. I've been happily using a Sony PlayTV for my Freeview MythTV system, but of course it's SD only. Seems like this WinTV-DualHD is the USB DVB-T2 twin tuner I've been waiting for.

I understand it needs at least Linux 4.18, but is there a minimum version of MythTV required to be able to record Freeview HD with multirec capability?
MikeB2013
Senior
Great Britain

Post by MikeB2013 »

cliveb wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:01 am
Just stumbled across this. I've been happily using a Sony PlayTV for my Freeview MythTV system, but of course it's SD only. Seems like this WinTV-DualHD is the USB DVB-T2 twin tuner I've been waiting for.

I understand it needs at least Linux 4.18, but is there a minimum version of MythTV required to be able to record Freeview HD with multirec capability?
Any "recent" MythTV version will be fine e.g. 0.27,0.28,29,30 etc.

It is possible to update an existing kernel e.g. 4.15 to the latest version of V4L-DVB subsystem (contains all the media device drivers), which does have the latest hauppauge patches, see Basic Approach at https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ ... ce_Drivers
The downside on this is that you have to remember to rebuild every time the kernel gets updated.

If you are running *Ubuntu, Hauppauge provide a ppa which has custom kernel build see https://github.com/b-rad-NDi/Ubuntu-med ... el-builder
The downside on this is that you rely on Hauppauge for all updates, including security updates.

Mike
busbee
Junior
United States of America

Solved: WinTV-DualHD

Post by busbee »

WOW... what a wait. So, even after the week delay, and and updated (to 18.04.2), I still was on 4.15 kernel. :evil:

So I installed HWE to get it there:
sudo apt install linux-generic-hwe-18.04 xserver-xorg-hwe-18.04

Finally, I am on kernel 4.18 :D

I added a new card, and set the max recordings to 3.

Now I have 6 tuners which work on two frequencies simultaneously. :D
Love it!
jksj
Senior
Great Britain

Post by jksj »

6 HD channels down a single USB 2 interface seems adventurous, mind you there is never that much on worth watching. Best of luck.
I resrtict mine to 4.