What IR Remotes are Available

Do you want advice about what hardware to buy for use with MythTV? Ask here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

kbocek
Senior
United States of America

What IR Remotes are Available

Post by kbocek »

I've got another thread going as I try to setup an old Ortek-1100 IR receiver. Looks like this receiver is not being made anymore. Firefly appears to be gone also.

So what is everyone using in the way of IR remotes now? My sticking point is that it needs to be compatible with various universal remotes out there. I need a bunch of remotes the way I use MythTV in my house.

Thanks
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Re: What IR Remotes are Available

Post by wesnewell »

I've got older HP usb receivers. They are compatible with these protocols and will work with any ir remote that uses either of them.
rc-5 rc-5-sz jvc sony nec sanyo mce_kbd rc-6 sharp xmp. If you have an ir remote that is not supported by your receiver, you can use lirc with any receiver since it uses the raw ir signal data along with a config file to recognize the signal. So basically any ir remote can be used with any ir receiver. I've always used universal remotes with JP1 interfaces so I can set up my own codes. I built my own codes using the nec protocol and loaded it into the remote I use via jp1 programing and use it via the kernel ir-keytable. I then made my own rc_keymaps file to support them. Yes it can get complicated if you know nothing about it. The other option is a simple $10 mini remote keyboard. They work just like a regular keyboard and are real easy to use. An mce compatible ir receiver and remote is probably the easiest ir remote combo. There are tons of them available also.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.
kbocek
Senior
United States of America

Post by kbocek »

Thanks for the reply wesnewell.

The Ortek I am playing with installs as a keyboard and mouse. It works and displays input -- but only with it's remote. I have tried several remotes and several codes and none cause the LED in the receiver to flash. That seems to tell me that IR codes will not be received.

I've seen instructions on getting a keyboard/mouse receiver to work in LIRC -- such as LIRC's devinput interface. But it's confusing. I have two operating setups but both use the /dev/rc0 style of interface. The Ortek does not create /dev/rc0 devices.

And (I'm not slighting you here) I'd still like to know what people are buying for new setups. I'm not sure any of the /dev/rc0 receivers are still being sold.

This seems to have good reviews (if a bit old):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J5NRWFO/re ... rCbGHTMFR4
kbocek
Senior
United States of America

Post by kbocek »

In case anyone comes across this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2985