Pine A64 Experience..

Do you want advice about what hardware to buy for use with MythTV? Ask here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

diyhouse
Senior
Great Britain

Pine A64 Experience..

Post by diyhouse »

Just a general question to the Myth lovers out there,...

Has anyone tried / have experience of the Pine A64 2gig board as a client,.. I have a raspberry Pi client,.. but was looking for something with a little more horse Power and the pine seems to have that little bit more under the bonnet for a reasonable price.
Any thoughts, comments welcome.
thankyou
grego892
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: Pine A64 Experience..

Post by grego892 »

This person did. I'd love to hear a update from them...
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php ... &pid=38842
gregb49
Newcomer
Great Britain

Post by gregb49 »

grego892 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:10 am
This person did. I'd love to hear a update from them...
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php ... &pid=38842
That was me, on a Rock64, and I'm sorry to say that the fun was short lived. MythTV just stopped working and I have not been able to reinstall it. I wonder if someone was playing around with the repos thus allowing me to install it, temporarily. What surprised me that it did work for a day.
TvHeadend seems to be better supported by the ARM Community, than MythTV, at least on the RPi which I am using alongside an X86 Myth Box.
I look forward to good ARM support by the MythTV community.
diyhouse
Senior
Great Britain

Post by diyhouse »

Many thanks for responding Greg,.. and updating us all,.. disappointing,.. as the Pine 64 would seem to have the little bit of extra horse power above the Pi...
But oh well,.. nice to know ( before actually investing) and have the info shared...
gregb49
Newcomer
Great Britain

Post by gregb49 »

Yes, I should have updated the pine64 blog. Why MythTV worked at all, for this short time, I just do not understand, but gives me hope.
diyhouse, like me, was looking for a little more horse power, but I'm beginning to think that Operating system maturity is more important.
diyhouse
Senior
Great Britain

Post by diyhouse »

Just a small add-on to this thread.. has anyone seen ( even got ) one of the new Raspberry Pi 4's.. £54 GBP for a 4GB version with 4K support,..
looks pretty good to me..

It might,.. on the face of it,.. appear address the more horse-power issue,... but currently currently unavailable,.. ( sold out )...

check out the video here,...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXCjpJasvG0
MikeB2013
Senior
Great Britain

Post by MikeB2013 »

my Pi 4 (4GB version) arrived today.
Due to operating system change raspbian stretch (debian 9) to buster (debian 10) there are no prebuilt mythtv packages (mythtv-light) and there are also changes to the graphics stack.

I have built mythtv master branch from source using packaging/deb-light and am currently testing mythfrontend on both pi 3 and pi 4. Looking good so far with 1920x1080, no 4k yet.

I will put details in this thread viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3221 which is for Raspberry pi

Mike
diyhouse
Senior
Great Britain

Post by diyhouse »

This is looking pretty dam good/encouraging I'd say,.. and will in time mature to the small footprint media client that we all wanted...

Many thanks for your, and the teams efforts