How to tune my remote (moving from LIRC to ir-keytable)

Do you want advice about what hardware to buy for use with MythTV? Ask here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Experimentator
Newcomer
Russia

How to tune my remote (moving from LIRC to ir-keytable)

Post by Experimentator »

Hi All,

I am using MythTV for several years now, and I am very happy with it. I'm reading #mythtv-users from time to time, and even posting sometimes, but this is my first message on the forum. :geek:

Recently my old RF remote started to fail, and I recalled I have an IR remote from my TBS 6985 DVB adapter. So I gave it a try... My old remote worked via LIRC, and it was just fine. The new one is utilizing the "modern" way of doing things and is using ir-keytable. And that's where I got stuck.

When I am pressing keys slowly (with pauses between key presses), it works fine. Whenever I press keys fast, I get a "double click" effect. For example, when browsing the list of videos, I click 'Down' twice - and the cursor jumps a bunch of lines at once. I searched the Net, I saw some similar issues elsewhere, but I didn't see a solution...

Is there a setting somewhere that would allow me to eliminate that 'double click' effect?

P.S. I'm running Centos 6.5, kernel 2.6.32-431.5.1.el6.x86_64. MythTV Version : v0.27.3-72-gf6b2f74
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Re: How to tune my remote (moving from LIRC to ir-keytable)

Post by paulh »

Hello Experimentator welcome to the MythTV forums :)

Have you tried running ir-keytable --delay=xx --device=yy where xx is the delay before a key repeats and yy is the device you want to use?

You can also use ir-keytable with lirc which is what I do. You need to tell LIRC to use the devinput device so it will use the input-layer IIRC.
Experimentator
Newcomer
Russia

Post by Experimentator »

Yeah, running with a '--delay' option changes the delay reported by ir-keytable, but doesn't change the actual behavior...

I like the idea of using lirc with ir-keytable! Are there any specific settings I need to do in order to make sure only lirc is processing the signals of my remote? I need to give it a try...
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Post by paulh »

These are the basic steps:-
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/LIRC#Setting ... put_Option

If you already have 'ir-keytable -t -d /dev/input/event3' (change event3 to whatever your remote is using) working and producing key presses then you just need to tell LIRC to use the devinput device. For me on Gentoo I just had to add '-H devinput -d /dev/input/remote' to /etc/conf.d/lirc where /dev/input/remote is a sym link to /dev/input/event3 created by udev so it always points to the correct input.

It's a while since I set this up but I think that's all there is to it.