Support for Nvidia 8400GS?

Do you want advice about what hardware to buy for use with MythTV? Ask here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jimls
Junior
United States of America

Support for Nvidia 8400GS?

Post by jimls »

I have read some things about nvidia not supporting drivers for older boards and wondering what that status of this board is - haven't been able to find clear information on this. Ran into some trouble installing the closed drivers but think I made some mistakes installing other things first and got some errors when installing so may start over. Updating software and planning to use Xubuntu 18.04. Think I need driver 340. That's the same driver I have been using with this card under Ubuntu 14.04 and seems to work ok. I realize this is an older card but I just do US OTA and it has been working fine for me. Any issues with current state of drivers for this card?
jimls
Junior
United States of America

Re: Support for Nvidia 8400GS?

Post by jimls »

Is this really as simple as:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-340
MikeB2013
Senior
Great Britain

Post by MikeB2013 »

For *ubuntu you can also use Settings>Additional Drivers, this give a list of possible drivers to install, including the nvidia proprietary driver(s), you select the one you want, remember to reboot after it has completed. This is probably better than sudo apt install nvidia-nnn route, as it scans your system to determine your graphics card.

Mike
jimls
Junior
United States of America

Post by jimls »

Thanks but my real question is 340 still a good and workable driver? I already did a command line command to determine what drivers were recommended (don't have my notes handy on exactly what command that was) and the choices were Nouveau or Nvidia340. After reading some things various places on line I was thinking I might have to patch something which isn't something I'd like to do or get a newer card.
MikeB2013
Senior
Great Britain

Post by MikeB2013 »

nvidia-340.106 driver from Xubuntu 18.04 repositories works for me on older Nvidia graphics cards i.e.

GT 218 GeForce 210 (N210)
GF108 GeForce GT630

Mike
jimls
Junior
United States of America

Post by jimls »

Thanks! I got it working. Somehow I got some nvidia 390 stuff installed. I hadn't gotten very far with setting everything up so I just started from scratch and everything worked fine. Once the Nvidia driver340 installed I was able to adjust overscan which was the current problem.