Cheap front end questions

Do you want advice about what hardware to buy for use with MythTV? Ask here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

trunkmonkey
Newcomer
United States of America

Cheap front end questions

Post by trunkmonkey »

My employer is upgrading systems soon, and I offered to take a few of their Dell Optiplex GX620's (P4 3.0/80GB/2GB) to use as XBMC/cmyth frontends. I plan on purchasing some low profile video cards (either Geforce 210 or AMD 5420) so I can watch HDTV. I know these are rather power hungry machines by today's standards, but would they work well for frontends? Any tips on powersaving short of pulling the plug on the machine(s)?
Dual Xeon L5420 VM Host/NAS | Mythbuntu 14.04/Myth 0.27| HDHR Prime | 3x XIOS DS XBMC 13.1 w/cymyth
rwagner
Developer
United States of America

Re: Cheap front end questions

Post by rwagner »

If you get a remote that supports wakeup, dropping them to standby will cut power consumption down to just a few watts. A few watts is good for a few dollars per year. At least in my opinion, it's worth a few dollars per year for (nearly) instant on.
trunkmonkey
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by trunkmonkey »

That works for me. I'm sure I can cobble up something that'll work. I may be able to find such a beast on eBay that'll work that way. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: I ended up grabbing a couple of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121273498525?ss ... 1497.l2649 They're cheap enough and come with the IR receiver. Next order of business is a couple of cheap video cards.
Dual Xeon L5420 VM Host/NAS | Mythbuntu 14.04/Myth 0.27| HDHR Prime | 3x XIOS DS XBMC 13.1 w/cymyth
meadrocks
Junior
United States of America

Post by meadrocks »

How well did the remotes work?