OLED TV for MythTV

Do you want advice about what hardware to buy for use with MythTV? Ask here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

wheezewiz
Newcomer
United States of America

OLED TV for MythTV

Post by wheezewiz »

I am deciding on a new 65" TV to use with MythTV. There is a great deal coming up on an LG OLED on Cyber Monday. I am concerned about burn-in when using MythTV. It is common for my family to pause playback for minutes to hours. Then, of course, there is the GUI which can stay on the screen for a long time. Has anybody tried an OLED TV with Myth? Are there any settings to use to blank the screen under these circumstances? Because of these concerns I am inclined to stick with a high quality LED TV. Thanks!
wheezewiz
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: OLED TV for MythTV

Post by wheezewiz »

Dang it! I thought I searched everything on the web about this but after posting my question I may have found the answer. The LG OLED TV has a built in screen saver which turns off the screen after two minutes if there is a static image on the screen. This should take care of the problem I described.
jh15
Junior
United States of America

Re: OLED TV for MythTV

Post by jh15 »

My Panasonic 65" ZT60 takes the myth menu or whatever input, then screen shrinks and rotates it around black background, then the myth menu goes to black anyway after awhile. hit esc, and pops right back.
Like plasma your OLED power draw varies with needed brightness. LCD TV's have max draw all the time.

never had any burn-in issues with this plasma bought in 2013. I burned it in for 150 hours before ISF calibrating it.

Have fun with the OLED, they are still sensitive, but baby it. Calibrate it out of torch mode especially. So much better PQ than the LCDs with bandaids. (local dimming, etc.)
Panas 65" ZT60 plasma.
50" samsung DLP
4 attic antennas
4 HD Homeruns
RPi4's