Hauppauge WinTV-QuadHD PCIe Card DVB-T/T2/C

Do you want advice about what hardware to buy for use with MythTV? Ask here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MikeB2013
Senior
Great Britain

Hauppauge WinTV-QuadHD PCIe Card DVB-T/T2/C

Post by MikeB2013 »

Just in case this helps anyone.

Works almost out of the box for mythtv on *ubuntu 16.04 (4.10 series kernel) and Debian 9 Stretch (4.9 series kernel) for DVB-T/T2 in UK (Freeview).

A firmware file is required in /lib/firmware/

dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw

This firmware file is available in various places, I used files from https://github.com/OpenELEC/dvb-firmwar ... r/firmware

You may see messages in the output from dmesg (dmesg | grep -i unknown) , these do not stop the tuners from working:
[ 12.419603] cx23885: cx23885[0]: warning: unknown hauppauge model #166200
[ 12.795285] cx23885: cx23885[1]: warning: unknown hauppauge model #166201

The only things I did in configuring mythtv using mythtv-setup was to (making sure mythbackend was stopped sudo systemctl stop mythtv-backend.service) :

a) change Signal and Tuning timeouts from 1000 and 3000 to 7000 and 10000 respectively (past experience indicates these defaults can be too low) and unchecked "Open DVB card on demand" in Capture Cards.

b) Multirec is supported, so change Max Recordings (default is 1, maximum is 10) in "Input connections">" Interactions Between Inputs" to whatever suits your configuration, 5 should be safe for modern hardware. Even at 5, it is possible to have 20 simultaneous recordings, which could be a bit too much for some hardware configurations. I found it best to start at a high number when you first configure the card and reduce it if you have problems (this is due to the way the mythtv scheduler picks free card inputs).

If you have other tuners (PCIe or USB) you need to ensure consistent frontend adapter numbering for mythtv. When linux boots the adapter numbering can change between boots, if this happens mythtv will have problems. For simple things I use a .conf file in /etc/modprobe.d/, otherwise you will need to setup udev rules (which I try to avoid!) e.g.

quadhd.conf with contents of

options cx23885 adapter_nr=0,1,2,3

change 0,1,2,3 to whatever is required, standard kernel builds currently have adapter_nr range 0-7.

Tested using mythtv 30-pre built from source), mythtv 29 is pretty much the same as 30-pre as of writing.