Need someone to check my backend build specs

Do you want advice about what hardware to buy for use with MythTV? Ask here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

1uke_
Newcomer
Japan

Need someone to check my backend build specs

Post by 1uke_ »

I am looking to put together a MythTV build for the first time.

Can someone tell me would the following system/build work for a MythTV backend?

Dell OptiPlex FX160
1.6Ghz Intel Atom processor,
On-Board/Integrated graphics.
2GB RAM,

I will install this Dual USB Tuner - http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/dual-tuner-dv ... tick-a17hg
I will also install a 500GB storage drive.

Would this system be able to power the backend of MythTV?

Thank you for supporting a n00b :D
Gribnif
Junior
United States of America

Re: Need someone to check my backend build specs

Post by Gribnif »

That will probably be OK to record two programs at once while watching on one frontend, assuming you're not also trying to transcode at the same time. I can't find any specs on the hard drive interface, but if it's SATA 1, as I suspect, anything more than that could be a problem. I ran my BE on an Atom for a while, but ran into disk bandwidth issues for this reason.
1uke_
Newcomer
Japan

Post by 1uke_ »

Gribnif wrote:That will probably be OK to record two programs at once while watching on one frontend, assuming you're not also trying to transcode at the same time. I can't find any specs on the hard drive interface, but if it's SATA 1, as I suspect, anything more than that could be a problem. I ran my BE on an Atom for a while, but ran into disk bandwidth issues for this reason.
Hi @Gribnif,

Thanks for your reply, I am now looking at an Acer Veriton N281G for the back end

Specs are as follows

RAM (Gigabytes) 2

Number of cores 1
Processor brand Intel
Processor series Atom
Processor number D425
Processor speed (Gigahertz) 1.8

Graphics card brand Intel
Graphics card model number Graphics Media Accelerator 3150

Connections Wireless
Number of USB ports 6
Chipset brand Intel
Chipset series NM10

In depth specs can be found here - https://www.cnet.com/products/acer-veri ... -gb/specs/

Is this a better backend machine than Dell OptiPlex FX160? Or is there not much in it? Power consumption is my biggest concern.

Thank you for helping me
daraden
Senior
United States of America

Post by daraden »

only real difference between the two is the acer's cpu is 200mhz faster. Both are sata2(Serial ATA-300). anything with an intel celeron j1800(still only sata2) or higher available in your price range? power consumption should be close or better than to the two you already listed, but should include usb3 which would make external storage viable. If sata3(Serial ATA-600) is needed look for J/N3XXX series.