Graphics choice

Do you want advice about what hardware to buy for use with MythTV? Ask here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PhilB
Senior
Great Britain

Graphics choice

Post by PhilB »

I run my computers into the ground, but my old 2004 vintage Pentium 4 is getting wheezy and is finally due for retirement. It's a study system which I'll dual boot and be used for general correspondence, browsing, mapping, google earth, photos, and (of course) Mythtv frontend (UK MPEG2) and general perl stuff.

I'm thinking i5-6600 cpu (AMD Zen not yet ready!) but would really appreciate views on the graphics. I understand that the integrated Intel graphics is not yet well supported by MythTV, and I'm inclined to nVidia GT730 2GB but would appreciate views. Is this still favourite and the graphics you would choose?
Regards

Phil Brady
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Re: Graphics choice

Post by heyted »

I just purchased a NUC with a 6th gen i5-6260U. I have hardware accel working with vaapi. I was expecting to see deinterlacing issues, but I am not seeing any. I am seeing occasional discolored blocky lines (for lack of a better term). Intel released a graphics update tool for Ubuntu 16.04 a few days ago (https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/ ... -os-v2.0.2). I am tempted to install it on Mythbuntu 16.04.
Ted | My blog
martyg
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by martyg »

Best to stick with NVIDIA for the time being, especially if accelerated deinterlacing is a requirement.

Here is the missing development item required to get Intel graphics singing and dancing.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=626

I'm not sure if anything has been done in the 0.29 branch as of yet, or if this is even on the radar.
PhilB
Senior
Great Britain

Post by PhilB »

many thanks both, your views appreciated!
Phil
diyhouse
Senior
Great Britain

Post by diyhouse »

Just "finally" upgraded to 0.28 and 16.04.....

Wanted to build a new system,.. and just import database,... so following advice etc... went down the line of deleting all video source,.. and storage defs.

Ok so first attempt was not perfect,. ( my issues in that had to re-load boot stuff,.. and system then configured itself as a Debian boot,.. with some funnies ). but got Dbase up to 0.28,... saved/exported Dbase!!!

And so rebuilt system based on 0.28,.. imported DBase,.. and all seems fine,.. had some glitches with graphics when viewing guide,.... flickering of video and program name,...

change to vaapi,.. and prefect.. display issues gone... and BTW I do have an Intel Mobo with on-board 4k graphics...

So far,... so good,..

And the wife has not noticed the upgrade,... Bliss!!
diyhouse
Senior
Great Britain

Post by diyhouse »

I feel obliged to offer some updates here to readers,.. since doing some more updates from my base ubuntu install CD,.. and including myth-fixes etc... my intel Mobo graphics are ( if not broken ) suffering,.. chasing different forums around there's a lot of talk,.. and no fixes as I can see as yet,.. my Mobo is an ASUS intel P8Z77.

The symptoms I am experiencing are ,.. slow boot,... ie a long pause, with a blank screen and no apparent action
diyhouse
Senior
Great Britain

Post by diyhouse »

Hoping,.. one final update to this thread,.. after another rebuild,.. ( not a myth problem I hasten to add ).... I finally have a stable machine ( touch wood ),.. Loaded mythbuntu from DVD,.. no problems,.. then immediately update the kernel to 4.7.2,.. with headers,.. This worked fine, and the "new" kernel includes fixes for the Mobo and more importantly the i915 driver,.. I then proceeded to update base machine,.. and finally to add fixes-028,.. and that all seemed to work fine.

My only outstanding issue,.. is I can do a "apt-get update/upgrade" with no errors,.. but the desktop menu interface to upgrades reports there is only a partial upgrade somewhere,.. whether this is to do with me short-cutting to 4.7.2 kernel I'm not sure,.... but for now I'll stick with the command line updates for now..

The long blank screens during boot have gone.. and the dmesg log reports a continual flow of drivers etc,.. with none of the GPU stuff failing etc..

As of this post on the 13 Oct '16,.. 4.7.2 was the latest Kernel,.. 4.8 was still in RC mode with 4.9 being considered for the next LTS...