Want recommendation for analog usb tuner

Do you want advice about what hardware to buy for use with MythTV? Ask here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MoebusNet
Newcomer
United States of America

Want recommendation for analog usb tuner

Post by MoebusNet »

Over & over again, I see statements like 'analog is being discontinued in the U.S.' My experience is the exact opposite. For example - nationwide it seems RV parks, apartment buildings, hotels, etc. all appear to provide analog cable signals even if their cable provider is all-digital. As far as I can figure out the cable provider sends out encrypted QAM to the RV park, who uses a master cable box to decrypt only the channels that they provide to tenants. Here's the catch - the decrypted channels are analog not digital. My Silicondust HDHR Plus tuner is digital-only; it will not tune analog channels. Of course I may be mistaken and the RV parks still have commercial-grade analog cable even if residential accounts are all-digital.

Is there a USB analog tv tuner that is currently manufactured & supported in Mythtv? I suppose ethernet like my Silicondust tuner would work also. Google & forum search has not been my friend on this one.

Recommendations welcome.
MoebusNet
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: Want recommendation for analog usb tuner

Post by MoebusNet »

Still looking...

Amazon lists the Hauppauge WinTV HVR850 USB HDTV

http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-WinTV-H ... B001DERXV6

as supporting cable analog; I haven't found anything on the forum for it yet. Anyone tried this model?