Mass storage recommendations?

Do you want advice about what hardware to buy for use with MythTV? Ask here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

alatar
Newcomer
United States of America

Mass storage recommendations?

Post by alatar »

What are people using for redundant 15TB+ storage solutions? I have a 6x6TB drives on BTFS in the backend server now. I'm thinking about moving to more of a NAS-type solution and probably ZFS. The off the shelf NAS products seem pretty limited and expensive. Maybe my own hardware with a distribution like FreeNAS? What has worked well for you?

Much appreciated,
Gribnif
Junior
United States of America

Re: Mass storage recommendations?

Post by Gribnif »

I have a rackmounted server running 24/7, so I'm just using five 4 TB drives in a RAID 6 array with XFS. I've been pretty happy with it.
LinuxGeek28
Junior
United States of America

Re: Mass storage recommendations?

Post by LinuxGeek28 »

Ditto on Raid6 with XFS and I also use LVM. ...pretty old school tech.
I run Ubuntu 18.04 server in and old ATX PC case that I loaded with hot-swap drive bays. My array is currently 12x4TB. I started with 8 Hitachi Deskstar NAS drives, but I have been expanding by adding refurbed 4TB enterprise drives I get on Amazon for abut $12.50 a TB. I also keep two cold spares.
Instead of running a separate NAS, I just configured Ubuntu to act as my NAS for other clients. I find combining my MythTV server with my NAS server in a single case works the best for me. At one time, I had 2 OTA and 4 cable tuners that could record simultaneously. It was never a problem.
I think ZFS is a great filesystem and great protection from bit rot, but Ubuntu didn't support it when I started 10 years ago, and I have read that expansion can be a hassle. Raid happily adds additional drives to an existing array and rebuilds it.
I have some old 2, 3, and 4 TB Reds that I use with rsync to back up ripped music and video files, but too many TBs of recordings to backup.
I've had to do more recoveries than I can count, but Raid6 has always handled it well.