minisatip

Do you want advice about what hardware to buy for use with MythTV? Ask here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jksj
Senior
Great Britain

minisatip

Post by jksj »

Just for information:-
I have been using a Digibit R1 quad Satelllite Receiver for the last year with v32 of Mythtv which supports SAT/IP. Recently (just outside warranty) the box has become unreliable - refusing to connect to my network at 1000BASE-T works at 100.
So I thought I would give minisatip a try. I had some usb satellite tuners lying around, plugged these into a Pi 4 (kernel 5.10) and installed minisatip. Got the whole thing working and integrated with the backend in a few hours. Highly impressed.
I believe minisatip supports any DVB device so you can build the equivalent of a Homerun out of old tuners hosted on a Pi.
The Pi4 is running at about 14% load handling 3 HD streams from 2 tuners.
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Re: minisatip

Post by kmdewaal »

Thanks for the update. It is sad that your Digitbit box failed so soon. I selected that box because it had four tuners and because the one other affordable box that I could find, a Megasat, had only two tuners and it had a hard-coded UUID so you could not have two of them in one network.
I did actually test against minisatip once at that did work for me also. I think that minisatip can also be useful if you have already PCI tuner cards and an old PC which has still PCI slots.
If, over time, issues do appear please keep reporting them. My current test code is considerably less stable than what is now in master so it will take a while but I intend to fix all known bugs.
jksj
Senior
Great Britain

Re: minisatip

Post by jksj »

Certainly will, really pleased with current performance
Many thanks