Homerun questions (related to ATSC 3.0 until MythTV supports)

Do you want advice about what hardware to buy for use with MythTV? Ask here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

wmorrison
Senior
United States of America

Homerun questions (related to ATSC 3.0 until MythTV supports)

Post by wmorrison »

There are Homeruns supporting ATSC 3.0 now. I know MythTV (and ffmpeg) is not yet ready to support ATSC 3.0 recordings.

One of my local channels is switching to ATSC 3.0 mid-October. (That will be two, there's another channel I don't use.) I am looking into getting, probably a Homerun Flex 4K, just to start experimenting, even if MythTV can't record/play it yet.

This device has a USB port for a hard drive to record, but from reading silicondust's site, it's not clear whether a subscription is required to schedule and record. Really? On your own hard drive? Please say it isn't so.

I think I just answered my own question reading the page for the Scribe. The DVR is free for a year, then requires a subscription. Ugh.

If that is the case, I'll be looking for some free alternative to record, even if it's on Windows, and/or only recording live, to make some test recordings.

Anybody who has Homeruns, especially the new ones supporting ATCS 3.0, what can you tell me?
wmorrison
Senior
United States of America

Re: Homerun questions (related to ATSC 3.0 until MythTV supports)

Post by wmorrison »

This looks interesting. wget and timeout to save to a file.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKlAjPYsTOU
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Re: Homerun questions (related to ATSC 3.0 until MythTV supports)

Post by kmdewaal »

See also this topic, especially the last part: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4374&start=15

Summary: with MythTV you can use the ExternalRecorder capture card type together with the mythhdhrrecorder app of Gary Buhrmaster Ihttps://github.com/garybuhrmaster/mythhdhrrecorder) to record any channel from a HDHR including the ATSC-3.0 channels.
Whether you can play it back does depend on the actual video and audio formats used and that can vary per channel and per location.
Note that the ExternalRecorder/mythhdhrrecorder/HDHomeRun stack does not pass the EIT guide information so you need a Schedules Direct subscription or another way of getting the guide data.