Hauppauge HVR-2255 Failing

Do you want advice about what hardware to buy for use with MythTV? Ask here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

BillK
Senior
United States of America

Hauppauge HVR-2255 Failing

Post by BillK »

My Hauppauge HVR-2255 capture card seems to be failing. When I try to record 2 programs simultaneously, it goes for 40-50 minutes and then fails. The backend log reports an "Input/output error" on /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0. I haven't been successful searching for an answer, except for suggestions that it might be an overheating problem. I've had other problems with recording failures which may have been caused by a disk i/o error, and I could recover by stopping the backend, removing and then re-installing the module, and restarting the backend. That doesn't work with this error.

Not being hopeful the problem has a resolution, I'm now looking for a replacement. The Hauppauge quad-tuner would seem to be a logical replacement except I don't need 4 tuners and I'm afraid that I don't have enough signal strength to handle another split. Hauppauge's WinTV-DualHD looks interesting but I'm wondering about its reliability. Their quad card has lots of fins for heat dissipation which tells me heat is a problem. I don't see how a usb stick gets around it. I'd like to hear from anyone using this device, especially with Linux (I'm currently running ubuntu 14.04 with Hauppauge-supplied 3.16 kernel).