dish OTA DVR receiver

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
gonfishin
Newcomer
United States of America

dish OTA DVR receiver

Post by gonfishin »

I use to be a Dish subscriber, but I cut the plug now and just watch live TV on my HDTV through an antenna. When I did subscribe I used a VIP722 DVR to record all my shows and sports while I was out fishing to watch at a later time. These receivers have an ATSC tuner (HDTV tuner) and a HDMI output so I could connect to my roof antenna and get all my local HD channels so I could record the football games. I believe these receivers run on Linux software.
I now have two of these bricks (Dish VIP722) sitting around that I own. My question is can I erase all the dish software and install MythTv on the receiver and use it as a stand-alone OTA set top box DVR with my roof antenna?
stuarta
Developer
Great Britain

Re: dish OTA DVR receiver

Post by stuarta »

It is unlikely you will get this to work, but if you are into this sort of thing, then it could be an interesting challenge
Abzstrak
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by Abzstrak »

I wouldn't even bother trying, unless your into rolling your own distro.
Gary Buhrmaster
Junior
United States of America

Post by Gary Buhrmaster »

gonfishin wrote:My question is can I erase all the dish software and install MythTv on the receiver and use it as a stand-alone OTA set top box DVR with my roof antenna?
My usual answer to this: "If you have to ask, you likely do not want to follow this path". My guess is that the VIP722 has a locked down bootloader, which will require jtag debugging, and a likely custom dtb file. If you want to learn, go for it, but expect to spend many many hours learning. For a BE, it can likely be made to work with sufficient effort. For a FE you likely need to write MythTV VPU/GPU support.
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

gonfishin, One option you may want to consider is to keep the case and hard drive, and replace the motherboard. I did this with a TiVo described at the site linked below. The remote could possibly be reused also.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sh ... ost9890288
tivo1.jpg
tivo1.jpg (89.36 KiB) Viewed 2023 times
tivo2.jpg
tivo2.jpg (63.89 KiB) Viewed 2023 times
Ted | My blog