Increased CPU usage on certain channels Kodi/Mythtv

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
Dneu2011
Newcomer
United States of America

Increased CPU usage on certain channels Kodi/Mythtv

Post by Dneu2011 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:03 pm

I just purchased a HDhomerun Prime box and successfully connected my windows computer to it with WMC. I wanted to be able to setup a separate computer to run mythtv backend and use the pvr within kodi under Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS with the hopes of using Raspberry Pi's in all my bedrooms streaming PVR and Live tv from the NUC. I was able to successfully install mythtv and kodi on the Intel Nuc Celeron running at 1.1 GHZ and 2 gb ram. For the first day, it worked fine, but then I noticed that some channels (one being Comedy Central) flicker a lot when playing. I took a look at the cpu usage and, for some reason, Comedy Central, along with other channels, is using twice the amount of CPU power (50-60% vs 20-30%). When I try Kodi on my HTPC a10-7850 there is no issue, so I believe there is a setting within Kodi that needs to be changed.

I am very new to linux and coding, so any help would be much appreciated.

Dneu2011
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: Increased CPU usage on certain channels Kodi/Mythtv

Post by Dneu2011 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:55 pm

Can anyone help with this?

To follow up, I took an old pentium 4 dual core laptop and set it up to be used primarily as my backend. I then installed Openelec on my nuc. I fired it up and the tv channels work without flashing, but the CPU usage is still twice as high on the same channels. I can easily hear the fan on the nuc working from 6 feet away and the temperatures are showing 175 degrees.

stuartm
Developer
Great Britain

Re: Increased CPU usage on certain channels Kodi/Mythtv

Post by stuartm » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:14 pm

You'd be better off asking through the Kodi support channels, we could help if you were using MythTV for playback, but Kodi is an entirely different project run by different people. We can't even begin to speculate on why their application behaves the way you describe.