Jasper Lake UHD Graphics (i915 driver)

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
gpw928
Junior
Australia

Jasper Lake UHD Graphics (i915 driver)

Post by gpw928 »

Hi,

I have built a new MythTV server on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Desktop, using the Ubuntu (V32) MythTV packages. It is working (backend and local frontend). The server has an Nvidea graphics card, and Nvidea drivers.

I also have a MinPC with an Intel® Pentium® Silver N6005 CPU, that I wish to use as a MythTV client.
https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au ... ions.html

It's got on-board Intel UHD Graphics:

Code: Select all

[umtvc1.277] $ sudo lshw -c video                  
  *-display                 
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: JasperLake [UHD Graphics]
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 2
       bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
       logical name: /dev/fb0
       version: 01
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pciexpress msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom fb
       configuration: depth=32 driver=i915 latency=0 mode=2560x1440 resolution=2560,1440 visual=truecolor xres=2560 yres=1440
       resources: iomemory:600-5ff iomemory:400-3ff irq:149 memory:6000000000-6000ffffff memory:4000000000-400fffffff ioport:3000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff
It's also running Ubuntu 22.04 LTS desktop, with the same packages as the server.

In the MinPC client frontend "Settings -> Video -> Playback", I was hoping that "VAAPI normal" or perhaps "OpenGL High" might work, but alas none of the choices in the menu work with the i915 that comes with Ubuntu. No video when I click on "Watch TV". There's an error message indicating that the "Video Playback" setting won't work.

However I can see the programme guide. So the connection to the server is working (at least in some fashion).

I'm not sure whether I have mis-configured the frontend, or I have struck an unsupported piece of kit.

Does anyone know if this is the usual situation for the i915 driver with JasperLake UHD Graphics? Is there any way forward with this hardware?
gedakc
Junior
Canada

Re: Jasper Lake UHD Graphics (i915 driver)

Post by gedakc »

I have tested MythTV 32 (combined frontend and backend) with Xubuntu 22.04 LTS on a Beelink Mini S with an Intel Celeron N5095. This is also Jasper Lake vintage and has the same built in Intel UHD Graphics. This setup recorded and played video with no difficulty.

You might try disabling the NVidia card and instead use the built-in Intel graphics.

EDIT - I see now that the NVidia card is on a different server.

If Ubuntu 22.04 LTS is using Wayland by default, then you might try logging in using the X11 desktop. Xubuntu uses X11.
gpw928
Junior
Australia

[Solved] Re: Jasper Lake UHD Graphics (i915 driver)

Post by gpw928 »

I got the client going by switching from Wayland to X11. The startup log indicates that both VAAPI and OpenGL should work. I tested with OpenGL.

The testing path was a bit tortured. I had placed myself in group "video", logged out, and back in. But I didn't notice that the group addition was not active. I tested the front end for some time before I realised I was still not in the "video" group. A re-boot fixed that, but the testing and my conclusions were compromised.

In any event, I have left the system configured to use X11, and it's working (Xubuntu, as you suggest, is good enough reason to stay with X11).

Thank you for your assistance.
gedakc
Junior
Canada

Re: Jasper Lake UHD Graphics (i915 driver)

Post by gedakc »

Glad you got it working. X11 has been around for decades and is a proven quantity. Wayland is the new kid on the block and has rough edges that still need to be addressed.

I also use OpenGL as it appears to be better at rendering video. With VAAPI I would sometimes see glitches and green flashes.