fixing mythfront video issues on UHD 4K TV

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

fixing mythfront video issues on UHD 4K TV

Post by jfabernathy »

I have a New Sony 4K UHD TV. It has Google TV builtin and I can run android apps like Leanfront. Leanfront is excellent on this TV just like it is on a FireTV 4K stick.

Where my issues arise is I also have a 4K PC connected to one of the Sony HDMI ports. It's nice to use it to surf the net and do emails while sitting in my lounge chair. The PC is setup with Linux Mint 21.1 with the display settings at 3840x2160@60 with 200% scaling. This gives me the feel of a 1080P display but is capable of 4K resolution when an app can handle it.

If I run mythfrontend on the PC the video is a little jittery compared to when I used this PC on an old 1080P only TV. I know the recorded video is fine because I can go back to the builtin Google TV on the Sony and use Leanfront to connect to this same PC and play the video perfectly.

I'm just trying to figure out if I have the TV and PC settings for mythfrontend to work the best it can. There are occasions when mythfrontend is the right tool and I'd like the picture to be more stable.

The PC is a ASrock 1165G7 NUC which uses an Intel 11th Gen Core i7 mobile chip.
The picture quality is the same if I change the display settings to 1920x1080@120 with 100% scaling. Also Kodi playback looks the same as mythfrontend.

Normally using Leanfront on the TV is what I do, but I'd like to get mythfrontend on the PC as best as it can be.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I can reduce the jitter a lot by switching from OpenGL High Quality to vaapi.