How to copy the movies from one hard disk to the other

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
pelikan
Newcomer
Germany

How to copy the movies from one hard disk to the other

Post by pelikan »

Hello,
I have 2 hard drives connected to MythTv. Now I would like to copy the movies from one hard disk to the other. Can I just copy the movies or will I corrupt the database. What to consider when copying to another hard drive?
Best regards
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Re: How to copy the movies from one hard disk to the other

Post by paulh »

You don't say if you are talking about movies from recordings or from videos. If they are recordings you can just add a new entry for the directory to the Default storage group and move them to the new directory and Myth will find them. That works because Myth will search in all recording storage groups for a recording.

For movies in videos it's more or less the same, create a entry in the videos storage group pointing to the new drive and move the files to the new location. The difference is you may have to do a rescan before Myth will find them properly. If the movies remain the same then the metadata should all be preserved because there is a hash value created for each file to uniquely identify it.
pelikan
Newcomer
Germany

Re: How to copy the movies from one hard disk to the other

Post by pelikan »

thx, a lot.
Indeed i have movies from recordings.OK , from my understanding i have just copy all movies to my storage group.
Best