Mythtv 31 in Ubuntu 22.04

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
chunter2
Junior
Canada

Mythtv 31 in Ubuntu 22.04

Post by chunter2 »

I just upgraded my frontend box to Ubuntu 22.04 which brought along myth 32. I haven't upgraded my backend and second frontend to 32 yet so I was looking to install 31 this test frontend. I see in the mythbuntu 31 ppa that there's a jammy (22.04) build but I'm not quite sure how to get it installed. I've added the ppa like I normally do but when I try to install even after purging the installed 32 packages it still offers me 32 again. Is there a way to force it to pull from the 31 ppa?

Thanks
jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Re: Mythtv 31 in Ubuntu 22.04

Post by jfabernathy »

This may work for you or not. Look in your /etc/apt/ directory at your sources.list file and directory. Then delete any PPA entry for mythbuntu/32. You should be able to then

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/31

I would

sudo apt remove --purge mythtv*
before I

sudo apt install mythtv-frontend
chunter2
Junior
Canada

Post by chunter2 »

Thanks for the reply. I only have the 31 ppa in my /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ folder. I think the problem is mythtv 32 is the default in 22.04's standard repository. I'm not sure how the mythtv 31 22.04 package from the mythbuntu ppa would ever get installed. Is there a way to ignore or blacklist packages from the standard ubuntu repo so that the ppa repo would get used? I think this is normally fine if the ppa version is newer than the default repo's version.

Thanks
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

Hi. There is a similar question on askubuntu.com. See if this helps.

apt-cache show name-of mythtv-frontend
should show the available versions.
Ted | My blog
chunter2
Junior
Canada

Post by chunter2 »

heyted wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 1:11 pm
Hi. There is a similar question on askubuntu.com. See if this helps.

apt-cache show name-of mythtv-frontend
should show the available versions.
Thanks for this. That apt-cache command really helped. I'd seen that link before but was getting the version string wrong. I was missing the "2:" at the beginning. Once I got that going I ran into other problems. I had to 'sudo apt-get install pkgname=version' for every myth component otherwise it would install the 32 version of them. The other issue I ran into was I only wanted the mythtv-frontend package but it depended on mythtv-common which also pulled in mythtv-backend for some reason which wasn't in the dependency list. I ended up manually downloading the mythtv-frontend and mythtv-common packages and installing them with 'dpkg -i pkgname'. I then had to mark them by running 'sudo apt-mark hold pkgname' so I could still do regular updates to the system. So in the end I've got libmyth and libmyth-python installed with apt-get and the version number and downloaded versions of mythtv-frontend and mythtv-common installed with dpkg. Hope this all makes sense. I've now got Mythtv 31 working with Ubuntu 22.04.

Thanks
aristide
Newcomer
Switzerland

Post by aristide »

I had to install libmyth, beside mythtv-common and mythtv-frontend, with the *.deb files from the 0.31 ppa and obviously got a lot of errors with unmet dependencies. 'apt-get --fix-broken install' solved them and the frontend is working now.