v32 build on Debian

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
gpw928
Junior
Australia

v32 build on Debian

Post by gpw928 »

I have suddenly got problems with v30, with my IR remote playing up.

So, I decided to move on to v32.

I currently use Debian "buster", and would prefer to stay on a stable release.

I have not yet tried to use Ansible to set up build dependencies for MythTV, but will build a "bullseye" VM with the intent of testing the process.

Meantime, testing on "buster" I see that the Run Time Dependencies for version 32 includes libexiv2-27, and libzip, both of which are only available on "sid" (bleeding edge).

Is anyone running MythTV v32 on Debian on anything other than "sid"?

If so, are you manually installing the build and runtime dependencies?

Thanks
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Re: v32 build on Debian

Post by bill6502 »

I can see we have builders for master-debian-buster-64bit and it's building OK. There
are none for v32 that I see. Likely removed for v32/buster due to its age.

I looked at Ansible and it has the same files you spotted for Debian. I'm on Ubuntu 20.04 and 22.04,
which uses the same Ansible role. dpkg -l libexiv2-dev libzip-dev

Hopefully a buster user will chime in.
jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Post by jfabernathy »

Don't know if this helps but Ansible does install correctly for Bullseye 64bit for the Raspberry Pi. The matches is to Bullseye and not Raspbian so maybe standard Debian 11 Bullseye will work with Ansible on 64 bits on X86_64.

I think Debian 11 Bullseye is the new stable version.
jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Post by jfabernathy »

FYI, just to confirm, I was able to install Debian 11 Bullseye, which is Debian Stable at this point and I used the ansible instructions pointed to by the link at https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Build_from_Source to install all dependencies. I then followed the normal build from source instructions for "fixes/32". I only tested mythfrontend in the interest of time, but it worked correctly and connected to my remote v32 backend just fine. It played my recorded TV programs like any other frontend.

Just some notes of interest. Since I'm not a Debian user normally, I ran into a couple of issues.

1. Gnome on Bullseye defaulted to Wayland and it is extremely sluggish. I switched the login to Xorg and it worked fine.

2. My PC for this test is 10 years old and the BIOS defaults to MBR/DOS booting but does support UEFI. However, Debian 11 is the first OS I've found that can't be booted after installation on this PC. I had to use BIOS method (non-UEFI) during install.
gpw928
Junior
Australia

Post by gpw928 »

I have to retire buster sooner or later. Looks like I need to make the investment now.

So I'll build a bullseye VM to test the build with Ansible. If that works I'll do it in production.

Thank you for your time and knowledge. Much appreciated.
jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Post by jfabernathy »

Out of curiosity I installed the complete frontend/backend on a Debian 11 Bullseye PC with Silicondust HDHomerun tuners. The instructions are very close to what I documented for the Raspberry Pi on Debian 11 Bullseye 64 bits. Other than the OS install, and not using mythtv-light, it's almost exactly the same. If you don't have your own method for MythTV backend/frontend installation, you might want to reference that post.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4799

I just tested the pi-mythbackend-helper.sh mentioned in that post this morning and it worked great. The script is one of the scripts at:
https://github.com/MikeB2013/pi-utils.git

Just make the changes for Bullseye and MythTV v32.

Code: Select all

mythtv_git_branch=fixes/32
php_version="7.4"
gpw928
Junior
Australia

Post by gpw928 »

Once again. thank you. I was planning to use the HD Homerun (DVB) tuners for the test build.