Is there a backup and restore script for xmltv?

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
gregl
Newcomer
United States of America

Is there a backup and restore script for xmltv?

Post by gregl »

I was wondering if anyone has a script to backup xmltv,or can you simply copy the ScheduleDirect.db and the SD.xmltv to a safe place then reinstall xmltv and replace the new file with the old ones?

Thanks
jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Re: Is there a backup and restore script for xmltv?

Post by jfabernathy »

I've never considered why I would want to do this. I've found that schedule information is only good moving forward and you can created and new SD database in about 5 minutes using tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite and 4 statements. If the backend was already configured to use the same named SD database, then that remains unchanged.

However, backing up mythconverg, checking it, and optimizing it is something I do daily. I have it stored in my NAS.
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Post by pgbennett »

You do not need to back it up if you are reinstalling xmltv. The sqlite databases are created when you set up the xmltv grabber by running tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite and select initialize database. Unless you are doing that you will not affect your database.
blm-ubunet
Senior
Cambodia

Post by blm-ubunet »

People in dvb land have used xmltv forever.

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore
mythconverg_backup.pl --backup_xmltvids

mythconverg_restore.pl --restore_xmltvids --filename mythtv_xmltvid_backup-20080626211808.sql
gregl
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by gregl »

Yes,I's true you can create a new database in short order,but its choosing all the channels is the real pita.. I ended up just copying the ScheduleDirect.db to
a safe place and install xmltv, then move the new db out of the way and replace it with the already configured DB.. I ran sudo su mythtv then mythfilldatabase and it was all back to normal.. I whole point was not to have to waste so much time weeding through 2000+ channels.. I'm sure there are better ways to do it,but this worked for me..
Thanks for all the suggestions....
Greg
blm-ubunet
Senior
Cambodia

Post by blm-ubunet »

It is so painful that many xmltv users just try to put off ever rescanning.
I just have a backup copy of .xmltv & only less than a dozen channels of any merit.

With the continuous restacking of dvb-t/t2 in UK.. have seen some scripts mentioned in mailing list or forum or mythtv website that might have helped with that.