[SOLVED] debian bullseye upgraded to V31 playback is now fubar

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
kommiisar6
Junior
Zimbabwe

[SOLVED] debian bullseye upgraded to V31 playback is now fubar

Post by kommiisar6 »

Hi-

Recently upgraded from buster to bullseye and my mythtv went from v30 to v31. Everything seemed to go smoothly but if I try to play a recorded show I get a flickering black screen over the standard mythtv front end UI and I can hear the audio. Obviously the video is completely unwatchable as all I can see is the front end UI with an overlayed flickering black screen.

My video card is a geforce gt 710 running nouveau drivers. I have all the necessary firmware for the vdpau acceleration and it looks like it is correctly configured from vdpauinfo program and from the video decoders in the system status. Has anyone seen this?

I upgraded another machine that uses an intel ivybridge cpu and the intel graphics stack and it plays recorded videos without a problem.

[THE FIX]

switched to the proprietary drivers from debian repos and the problem went away.
Last edited by kommiisar6 on Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Re: debian bullseye upgraded to V31 playback is now fubar

Post by paulh »

MythTV now requires OpenGL for playback so maybe the nouveaux drivers just aren't up to it? Does the Nvidia driver not support your gt 710?

See the v31 release notes: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_31
And some pointers to get video decoding and playback working with v31: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Not ... d_playback
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Re: debian bullseye upgraded to V31 playback is now fubar

Post by kmdewaal »

You do mention that you use the nouveau driver. The vdpau support in this driver, if it exists now, is most likely to be very much work-in-progress. I recommend to use the Nvidia driver.