Problem with "make clean" on aarch64 / fixes/31

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
dhwalker
Newcomer
United States of America

Problem with "make clean" on aarch64 / fixes/31

Post by dhwalker »

I've been having trouble compiling / installing on a Raspberry Pi 4 (openSUSE Tumbleweed aarch64), which turned out to be due to the fact that many of the Makefile's attempt to use /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/bin/qmake, which doesn't exist on an aarch64 ssytem. (qmake is in /usr/lib/qt5/bin/qmake and is linked from /usr/bin/qmake-qt5.) It should be possible to "make clean" to force recreation of the Makefile's, but I think there's a bug in many of the supporting scripts supporting clean (and distclean). For example, I found several instances of statements like this one from libs/Makefile:

Code: Select all

sub-libmythfreesurround-clean: FORCE
	@test -d libmythfreesurround/ || mkdir -p libmythfreesurround/
	cd libmythfreesurround/ && ( test -e Makefile || $(QMAKE) -o Makefile /home/dhwalker/software/MythTV/Fixes-31/build/mythtv/mythtv/libs/libmythfreesurround/libmythfreesurround.pro QMAKE=/usr/bin/qmake-qt5 ) && $(MAKE) -f Makefile clean
These statements check for the existence of a Makefile, and then leave it alone if it already exists. I believe these should be something more like:

Code: Select all

sub-libmythfreesurround-clean: FORCE
	@test -d libmythfreesurround/ || mkdir -p libmythfreesurround/
	cd libmythfreesurround/ && ( test -e Makefile || rm Makefile
Does this make sense, or am I missing something?

David
hampton
Developer
United States of America

Re: Problem with "make clean" on aarch64 / fixes/31

Post by hampton »

Try "make distclean". Also, if you cloned your source from git, you can run "git clean -xfd ." from the top level. That will remove any file that isn't tracked in the git repository.
dhwalker
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: Problem with "make clean" on aarch64 / fixes/31

Post by dhwalker »

Thanks for the reply. I'll try those. I still think, though, it's strange for "make clean" not to remove automatically-created files (and, in fact, to create such files when they don't exist).