Is QTWebkit a required dependency?

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
Vaska
Junior
Canada

Is QTWebkit a required dependency?

Post by Vaska »

Is QTWebkit a required dependency for MythTV functionality? I see it's now masked and slated for removal from Gentoo.

https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/dev-qt/qtwebkit
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Re: Is QTWebkit a required dependency?

Post by paulh »

I believe configure should detect if QtWebkit is available and enable or disable stuff as appropriate. These days the only things that require it are the plugins either directly like the web browser plugin or indirectly like the RSS feeds plugin.

The plan was to switch to using Qt's WebEngine. I have a patch to do that but unfortunately Marks changes to MythUI's rendering code makes it incompatible with the Qt OpenGL rendering code used by QtQuick and I tried many different ways to get them to play together but never found a way that worked reliably. The 'Future of MythTV' thread on here and the users mailing list made it clear that MythFrontend is no longer used by most users so sadly I don't see this ever being fixed properly.
Vaska
Junior
Canada

Re: Is QTWebkit a required dependency?

Post by Vaska »

Thanks for the clarification paulh. I don't use those plugins so I'll purge QTWebkit from my system and move forward without it. I absolutely love the MythFrontend though and don't know what I'd do without it. I tried Kodi some years ago but didn't think it was as polished when it came to the sound system and commercial skipping. I sure hope we don't lose the frontend.