External player

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
weff
Junior
Australia

External player

Post by weff »

I understand that there used to be an option to use an external player such as mpv instead of the built-in frontend.

Since the MythTV frontend is no longer working for me (see below if interested) I've had to write a stupid script to at least have access to my recordings. Perhaps it's useful to someone else?

It's here: https://gitlab.com/wef/dotfiles/-/blob/ ... lay-mythtv

It uses fzf to help select the recording to play - you might prefer wofi or some such.

I also have kodi installed and I can use that to play the recordings - but I hate the user interface.

Why do I need this? I upgraded to fedora-34 recently and found that the new pipewire audio system drops 1 second silences into my audio stream every 30s or so. This happens on all the audio sources including vlc, mpv, firefox as well as mythfrontend. So I decided to revert the OS to pulseaudio which now works perfectly with everything except mythfrontend.
blm-ubunet
Senior
Cambodia

Re: External player

Post by blm-ubunet »

Sadly I suspect you'll get better picture quality as well.
If you use an alsa device then the frontend will stop the pulseaudio server
weff
Junior
Australia

Post by weff »

Just for the record - a number of updates to the OS later and pipewire is working fine with MythTV so my need for the stupid play-mythtv script has mainly gone away. Not sure about mpv giving better quality though ... I can't see it, but maybe my old Radeon card is too poor.
blm-ubunet
Senior
Cambodia

Post by blm-ubunet »

The better PQ is due to VDPAU HiQuality (upscaler).. that got removed from MythTV about 2 years back.
The AMD card may not have any VDPAU support for that..