Any way to downgrade database from V31 to V30

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
mtbdrew
Senior
United States of America

Any way to downgrade database from V31 to V30

Post by mtbdrew »

As tittle states, is there anyway to do this without loosing data in the database?
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Re: Any way to downgrade database from V31 to V30

Post by bill6502 »

Short answer: no.

There are no programs to do this. Manually reverting all of the changes
made since v30 in the DB and adjusting the schemas isn't recommended.
blm-ubunet
Senior
Cambodia

Post by blm-ubunet »

For every recording you wish to preserve.. you could export with mytharchive (to local file) & later import back into db.
(Assuming you have db backups)
Last edited by blm-ubunet on Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Post by pgbennett »

Downgrading is not recommended. Why do you need to do this? Perhaps we can suggest another solution.
mtbdrew
Senior
United States of America

Post by mtbdrew »

Because performance of v31 is much worse than v30 across multiple platforms. In Linux I'm seeing this issue "viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4217"

Whereas Raspberry Pi3 is now almost completely unusable as a frontend unless you run it in desk-topless mode. Even in this mode you have to issues unless you pretty much turn video playback profile to poorest quality settings.

I have a pretty extensive mkv movie collect (all my personally owned material, bought legally) and getting their database information all correctly input is very time consuming. I would like to be able to convert my existing database to old schema so I can do a fresh clean load of v30 then import the converted database.
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Post by pgbennett »

Regarding the movie collection, the metadata lookup does a good job of finding and indexing the information on a movie. What type of information do you need that would not be supplied by a metadata lookup?
mtbdrew
Senior
United States of America

Post by mtbdrew »

Agreed it does pretty good but it's not perfect. There are always movies that for one reason or another it can't match up with IMDB. Then there are the series that are populated but I rename them so they are grouped together and in correct play order. One example of this is the fast and furious movies, they have a wide range of tittle styles and are spread throughout the onscreen display. I edit the titles after the data is filled in so they are displayed in correct order all in a row on the screen. This feature is one of the main reasons I prefer Mythtv over say Kodi or Plex. However it is a very time consuming process to get all data and titles arrange just the way I like them. As well as getting all the recording rules setup and labeled so the correct data is displayed for each recording. Being able to import this data without it being schema dependent would greatly improve the usability.
mtbdrew
Senior
United States of America

Post by mtbdrew »

BTW pgbennett,

I want to take the time and thank you for the responses. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback and answer questions. Unfortunately it seems to be pretty hit or miss in other parts of the forum so once again.

Thank you
Andrew