Problems w/Channel Scan and HDHomeRun Prime CableCard Tuner

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
danielwlewis
Junior
United States of America

Problems w/Channel Scan and HDHomeRun Prime CableCard Tuner

Post by danielwlewis »

'Just installed MythTV 31 and am having problems doing a channel scan. I'm using an HDHomeRun Prime Cable Card tuner. I added its three tuners in the backend setup. Rather than doing a scan where I added each tuner, I elected to do the scan in the Channel Editor of the backend setup. I am using Schedules Direct XMLTV/JSON and chose the lineups option. The scan was for Comcast cable in the SF Bay Area and I used all the default options except that I told it to include encrypted channels. The scan took about 15 minutes and found a total of 432 channels. However, when the scan completed, it simply said "Scan Complete" and did NOT give me an option to add the channels to the database.

UPDATE: I had also tried "Fetch channels from listing source" with no success. It would return after 2-3 seconds without adding any channels. However, when I went back and enabled EIT to fetch program data "over the air" (really from the HDHomeRun Prime), suddenly the "Fetch channels from listing source" started running as expected - taking a very long time. That doesn't make any sense to me.

What am I missing?

Thanks!
Dan
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Re: Problems w/Channel Scan and HDHomeRun Prime CableCard Tuner

Post by kmdewaal »

About the channel scan with mythtv-setup, you can try to uncheck the "Complete scan data required" option which is by default checked. See https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Sca ... a_required for the details.

I understand from https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Silicondust_HDHomeRun_Prime that the usual way is to let the HDHomeRun do the scan and then using the channels found in that scan to manually select the channels to be used in MythTV.