For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
mati
Newcomer
Germany

MythTV Upgrade from v28 to v30

Post by mati »

Hi,

i updated mythtv v28 to v30 using ppa:mythbuntu/30
I'm running ubuntu 16.04, which only is the backend, the frontend is kodi and mythtv-frontend
While mythtv using kodi is running quite well, no issue while playback an recording, i cannot connect via mythtv-frontend, due to db schema version missmatch

In the backend server log i found this entry:
eb 3 08:53:48 mc-server mythbackend: mythbackend[3691]: I CoreContext dbcheck.cpp:496 (UpgradeTVDatabaseSchema) Waiting for database schema upgrade lock
Feb 3 08:53:49 mc-server mythbackend: mythbackend[3691]: I CoreContext dbcheck.cpp:503 (UpgradeTVDatabaseSchema) Failed to get schema upgrade lock
Feb 3 08:53:49 mc-server mythbackend: mythbackend[3691]: E CoreContext main_helpers.cpp:576 (run_backend) Couldn't upgrade database to new schema on master backend.

The settings table shows this entry:
DBSchemaVer 1350

indicating that the mythbackend is not upgrade on application side.
I started several times mythtv-setup also as superuser, but the schema was not upgraded
Can someone give a hint what can i try to upgrade the db schema?
thx
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Re: MythTV Upgrade from v28 to v30

Post by bill6502 »

Can the failing remote frontend connect to the DB with this:

Code: Select all

mysql --user=mythtv --password=yours --host=localhost mythconverg
Until that works, MythTV won't. I'd start by verifying the password
in ~/.mythtv/config.xml (assuming your user starts the frontend).
hedgehog52
Junior
United States of America

Re: MythTV Upgrade from v28 to v30

Post by hedgehog52 »

I took a 3 year vacation and when I came back and upgraded my Linux system the upgrade failed. So, I had to do a reinstall. And, of course, the MythTV version had changed and I couldn't see anything. After running in circles for awhile, I did a restore from the most recent (three year old!) backup. That fixed it without any drama. You might want to try to kick off a database backup and then do a restore from it. Be aware that a restore completely clears the running database before loading the database from the file. It also creates a new backup when the schema is upgraded.

Or at least this is what happened to me. I did not have an even partially working MythTV, so my risk was low.

Bob