Mythtv V31 won't start

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
tobiz
Junior
Great Britain

Mythtv V31 won't start

Post by tobiz »

I've installed MythTV V31 from the ubuntu repository ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/31/ubuntu on my ubuntu 18.04 system (on a VirtualBox VM), it installs without error. I can run mythtv-setup without error. If I try to run mythbackend I get:

Code: Select all

mythbackend: symbol lookup error: mythbackend: undefined symbol: _Z15newEpifromDupIn18RecordingDupInType
If I run mythfrontend I get:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/mythfrontend.real: symbol lookup error: /usr/bin/mythfrontend.real: undefined symbol: _ZN2TV15PlaybackExitingEPS_
Any suggestions as to what's wrong?
I previously built MythTV V30 from source and run that successfully on this environment and think(?) I've removed all vestiges of this before installing V31 (apart from the db which mythtv-setup 31 upgraded when first run).
I've used the package manager to remove V31 and re-installed it but get same result.
blm-ubunet
Senior
Cambodia

Re: Mythtv V31 won't start

Post by blm-ubunet »

Symbol errors are usually lib version/build mismatches.

I would look (& delete) in:
/usr/local/bin/myth*
/usr/local/include/mythtv/
& most importantly..
/usr/local/lib/libmyth*

then run:
sudo ldconfig
tobiz
Junior
Great Britain

Post by tobiz »

Thanks for this. I tried the suggested actions and reinstalled mythtv V31 from the ubuntu package. The result was even the backend now fails to start. I'm abandoning this approach.
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

Agree with blm-ubunet. Try: ldconfig --print-cache|grep myth|grep 31 .
Perhaps v31 was built too and has stale libraries hanging around.
tobiz
Junior
Great Britain

Post by tobiz »

Thanks for these. I've abandoned building and running in a VM. I suspect mythtv seems to get confused as to what the IP address is for localhost. I've resorted to a clean build of V31 in a 'real' ubuntu 18.04 and everything works.