mythtv-setup errors out and won't give me a UI

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
thool
Newcomer
United States of America

mythtv-setup errors out and won't give me a UI

Post by thool » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:02 am

This is a bit confusing/long, but the current situation is that I cannot get the mythtv-setup UI to come up on my Ubuntu backend.

Background:
I have a RPI4 frontend running OpenELEC Kodi and the Mythtv Client Add-on. In the US, very strong signals. Today, I got my HDHomerun Duo hooked up and the tuner was working through a Windows machine using Silicon Dust's HDHomerun app: channels, OTA guide, etc. So I know that all works.

The backend (Ubuntu 18.04.4, I "think" Myth backend v29) was "mostly" working this afternoon, but it wasn't serving guides to the RPI/Kodi frontend. The frontend was able to change channels, pause/rewind TV, etc, but the guide was empty. I was using the EIT guide over the air. I gave it a few hours, but no guide.

So I tried a number of things on the backend, and think I screwed things up. Some of what I tried: uninstalling the backend myth packages, reinstalling version 29, then 31, then 30, multiple reboots, etc. I was using this guide and then tried to fall back to the MythTV Ubuntu Installation, but no luck.

Some of the commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/30
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mysql-server mythtv-backend mythtv-database kodi kodi-pvr-mythtv hdhomerun-config mythtv

Try purge:
sudo apt-get autoremove --purge mysql-server mythtv-backend mythtv-database kodi kodi-pvr-mythtv hdhomerun-config mythtv

Fall back to simpler:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/31
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mythtv

My backend is a headless server that I access thru putty. For the UI, I use XMing on my Windows box and transmit X back so I get the UI here. The script looks like this:
#!/bin/bash
mythtv-setup -geometry 1440x900 -w

When I first ran into trouble, it was saying that mythtv-setup.sh couldn't find /usr/share/mythtv/dialog_functions.sh. No matter how many attempts at reinstall, this problem persisted. I finally found the source, created the dialog_functions.sh file, and was getting some preliminary UI: it asked if I wanted to start the backend (yes, entered pass), then it asked about the DB fill. If I said YES then I got "mythfilldatabase: error while loading shared libraries: libmythtv-31.so.31: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory." If I said no, it quietly exited.

I'm almost at the point where I'm ready to do a clean OS reinstall, but hate to do that because I have a lot of work invested into getting this server the way it is, and it will be a lot of work to get everything back to normal. Any advice on what I can do, like a legit purge of all myth from my backend, so that an install can be done without having to clobber everything with a full OS reinstall? THANKS!

wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Re: mythtv-setup errors out and won't give me a UI

Post by wesnewell » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:04 am

Only thing I can help with is for next time. Been trying to upgrade 18.04 to 20.04LTS. Saving grace, clonezilla partition backup. No matter how bad I or it screws up, I can always go back, which I have many times lately.:-)
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.

mgpaulus
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by mgpaulus » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:52 pm

Just an additional note that might or might not apply: I have replaced my 0.29 system running on Debian with a new install of 31 on Xubuntu 20.04. My system is in my basement, but I do all of my admin stuff from my windows box upstairs. I've tried a variety of ways to do that, but the one that "seems" to work best is running tightvncserver on my mythbox, and then using VNC Connect (RealVNC). What I've noticed tho, is that it appears to me that mythtv-setup ONLY wants to run in a VNC window of 1024 x 768. Other geometries seem to not agree with mythtv-setup.

That's just my experience, and as always, YMMV.

bib1963
Newcomer
Great Britain

Post by bib1963 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:30 am

Try deleting ~/.mythtv/cache/contextcache.xml if it exists and retry.