[Solved] Activating MythWeb

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
williamatwood
Junior
Canada

[Solved] Activating MythWeb

Post by williamatwood »

I am running MythTV 0.38.2 on Unbuntu 16.04 LTS.
The last time that I tried to puzzle out how to get MythWeb working, I was able to install Apache2, and view the "Apache2 Ubuntu Default Page". However, what little documentation that I could find on MythWeb seemed to be written only for those who were building MythTV from source.

Today, I went searching in the Forum for "MythWeb", but was told that this word was too common. I tried "MythWeb Ubuntu activate", but the search deleted "mythweb" and "ubuntu", so the search did not produce any useful information. Within the User Documentation, I cannot find any trace of the page that I previously viewed.

How do I get MythWeb to work? I am knowledgeable on Linux and Ubuntu and can do command-line stuff. Can someone point me to documentation for getting MythWeb to work, or list me the steps?

If the right answer is "upgrade to version 30", I am willing to do that, of course. I am just hoping to find an easier way to access MythTV without standing in front of my TV...

Thanks a bunch!

Bill
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Re: Activating MythWeb

Post by wesnewell »

What happens when you try http://localhost/mythweb/ in your browser?
In any case, I assume you meant version 0.28 since there is no 0.38. First thing I'd do is backup the sytsem with clonezilla and then upgrade everything to 18.04LTS and mythtv to V30.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.
williamatwood
Junior
Canada

Post by williamatwood »

Yes, that should be 0.28.2, not 0.38.2.

Assuming that "localhost" should be written as the IP address of the computer running MythTV, I get a Fatal Error page, the .txt version of which is shown in the attachment. If you need to see the original web page, please access https://users.encs.concordia.ca/~bill/M ... thweb.html .

Bill
Attachments
mythweb.txt
(15.21 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

For any DB access issue, try accessing it directly from the command line:

Code: Select all

mysql --user=mythtv --password=yourPasswordHere --host=localhost mythconverg
Make sure the correct password is in a file in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled. Search there
for setenv db_password yourPasswordHere

Not sure what you want/need to use mythweb for, but note that WebFrontend is
available and requires no setup. Use: yourBackend:6544
williamatwood
Junior
Canada

Post by williamatwood »

I have not read much in the Wiki for the past two years. I never knew that WebFrontend existed.

As you say, "WebFrontend requires no setup". I typed in the URL, and there is was.

Thank you!
Steve Goodey
Great Britain

Post by Steve Goodey »

Unfortunately I don't think WebFrontend was totally finished. https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/WebFrontend
Don't forget the Wiki.
williamatwood
Junior
Canada

Post by williamatwood »

The problem was a letter "l" that was entered as a figure "1" in the mysql password. (The two are indistinguishable in the font used by my terminal emulator.)

Thank you all who offered advice. Mythweb now works properly, and I can browse the schedule without standing in front of the TV...

Bill