[solved]unable to connect to database after an ubuntu update... (running 0.29)

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
MTXRooster
Newcomer
United States of America

[solved]unable to connect to database after an ubuntu update... (running 0.29)

Post by MTXRooster » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:51 am

So I've had my MythTV set up for awhile now since 'recently' upgrading the backend to a new(er) CPU. The brief layout is a Backend PC with a tuner card and access to my HDHomerun via LAN (of course), and a frontend running out in the TV room.

It's been running since Dec., just fine, only getting restarted for those critical Ubuntu 18.04 updates (classy way to mention what version and flavor is the home for my backend), while the frontend at the time ran 16.04 (also 0.29 mythtv-frontend of course).

Couple of days ago, it had updates that, you guessed it, required a restart. I did so.
Now, the local frontend (that is, the frontend ON the backend PC that I use to actually schedule show recordings etc) still works fine. I can see/access/use the internet just fine, and I can access my transcoded folder just fine from other PC's..

But.. The frontend on the TV can no longer connect. All I get is the "Unable to connect to database" error on the setup screen.
After trying and trying different settings (not being sure why any of them would have been changed) I decided to upgrade the frontend OS to 18.04 too, why not....
Still of course, no change.. Uninstalled and reinstalled 0.29 branch of mythtv-frontend. No change.
When I use 'search' it shows the MythTV, and originally had a red box and a lock on it, after changing an unknown setting presumedly on the backend, it is now a green box with an unlocked lock on it, but when I click it, I still get the same result.
I can access the web version of it <localip:6543> and it comes up as the web version via browser, and as mentioned I can see the shares and interact with them.

What can I do or look at to determine what might have been updated by Ubuntu 18.04 that would break my MythTV from functioning?

Thanks,
MTXRooster
Last edited by MTXRooster on Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Re: Something happened (running 0.29)

Post by bill6502 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:14 am

Hi,

Please consider changing the Subject: of this post. "Something happened" won't help others
searching for problems in the future.

To your specific case, "Unable to connect to database" suggests a MySQL/MariaDB issue. Try looking
at command line tools to access the DB remotely. Here's an example:
http://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f ... ect#p14334

MTXRooster
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: [solved]unable to connect to database after an ubuntu update... (running 0.29)

Post by MTXRooster » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:15 pm

Thanks for the subject tip and the link.

The mysql part put me on the correct path.

In my case, it turns out when I set this up most recently, my frontend PC had a different IP. When I tried logging into mysql via command line, I was greeted with a failure as the user was not authorized. Going back to the backend PC and doing the same and looking at the user list, for those with similar problem:

Code: Select all

SELECT User, Host FROM mysql.user; 
showed that I had added a user for that machines (apparently) old IP, which it was no longer on.
On a personal note, I didn't think of that because (sadly) when I started upgrading and swapping out older systems with newer ones, I left the IP's dynamic instead of static like the rest of my gear is set to, because after all, these hardware upgrades weren't necessarily permanent, more of a "does this really need a faster CPU/gfx, or is the existing fine" kind of thing.. I'm happy to say now after changing the host IP to reflect the current IP of the frontend (and making it static) things are good to go once again!

Thanks for the motivational push in the right direction!