(Solved) Can not watch Live TV

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
ryanad1
Newcomer
United States of America

(Solved) Can not watch Live TV

Post by ryanad1 »

Linux newbie here. I have Xubuntu 18.04 with MythTV 0.29 installed. I'm able to record and play back, but I cant watch live tv. When trying to watch live tv I get an "Error opening Jump program file buffer".

Here is my Frontend log:
FrontendLog.txt
(22.13 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
And Backend log:
BackendLog.txt
(6.23 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
From what I've been able tell, it looks like the backend is creating two files, but only recording to one. The frontend appears to be trying to open the file that doesn't get recorded to.

Being a relative newbie to both linux and mythtv, im at a loss as to how to fix this. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Ryan
Last edited by Steve Goodey on Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added (Solved) to title.
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Re: Can not watch Live TV

Post by pgbennett »

Try increasing the tuning timeout values in the tuner setup. I believe the default is normally 3000, try doubling that.
ryanad1
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by ryanad1 »

Tried increasing the timeout from 3000ms to 6000ms.. Still have the same symptoms.
I don't know if it makes a difference, but I'm using a Hauppauge hvr-2250 tuner card.
MikeB2013
Senior
Great Britain

Post by MikeB2013 »

From mythtv frontend log
Sep 17 14:03:58 DVR mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[1355]: E CoreContext fileringbuffer.cpp:309 (OpenFile) FileRingBuf(/mnt/Video-Storage/Live TV/1051_20180917190358.ts): OpenFile(): File too small (0B).

You have a space character in Live TV directory name, suggest you rename the directory to Live_TV i.e. use underscore instead of space, remembering to change the Live TV Storage Group using mythtv-setup to /mnt/Video-Storage/Live_TV

I presume you have set the appropriate ownership and permissions on this directory for mythtv
ryanad1
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by ryanad1 »

Taking MikeB2013's advice, I changed the Live TV directory to Live_TV. Solved the problem!

Thank You!
bakasan
Newcomer
Australia

Re: (Solved) Can not watch Live TV

Post by bakasan »

I had this exact same issue too, and indeed the Live TV directory was full.

This begs the question though, why were old shows not deleted to make way for Live TV / Recordings?!
Many of my recordings have been 0 bytes for the last week or so, and I found this issue while testing tuning.

Originally this issue began when one of my DVB cards "broke", I disabled it in the configuration, completely removing it from the MythTV config. But that precipitated this issue. Curious.

Is there a way to test the old-recording cleanup procedure?