Newcomer
France

(Solved) Record conflict on 0.29 under Ubuntu 16.04

Post by egrimisu »

Hi,

This is the setup:

Ubuntu 16.04.3
MythTV 0.29 (installed from PPA)
EPG from xmltv, guide built with webgrabplus.
HDHomeRun Expand (European DVB-C) with 4 tuner ( multi record supported). Only 2 tuners configured as show below:

The 1st is named HD-HomeRun-2
The 2nd is named HD-HomeRun-3
1.png
1.png (123.25 KiB) Viewed 2228 times
I'm quite new to mythtv, few days new, so I might have missed something on how to properly configure mythtv to use both tuners for recording. I need this since a few show are overlapping so 2 tuners are needed ( or if I understood 1 is enough if the channels are on the same frequency). That has been configure, as you can see below in mythweb the 2 inputs are avaialabe.
3.png
3.png (91.57 KiB) Viewed 2228 times
But, something is not working as it should, I have left the input set to any, and when 2 recording are overlapping the 2nd one is put in conflict so the recording doesn't occur.

If for a recording i'm forcing the 2nd tuner that setting is not taken into account, take a look here:
4.png
4.png (112.29 KiB) Viewed 2228 times
So, what have I did wrong? Thanks in advance!
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Re: Record conflict on 0.29 under Ubuntu 16.04

Post by pgbennett »

It looks like all of your recordings are listed as HD Homerun 2. HD Homerun 3 is not being used. Are both tuners attached to the same video source in the backend setup? Something must be wrong in the setup for it not to use the other tuner. Did you restart the backend after changing setup?

As far as two recordings from the same frequency - You need to set Max Recordings to 2 or more for that to work. In fact if you change max recordings to 2 it will resolve some of the conflicts above and record 2 shows from one tuner where you are recording both from the same channel.
egrimisu
Newcomer
France

Post by egrimisu »

pgbennett wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:27 am
It looks like all of your recordings are listed as HD Homerun 2. HD Homerun 3 is not being used. Are both tuners attached to the same video source in the backend setup? Something must be wrong in the setup for it not to use the other tuner. Did you restart the backend after changing setup?

As far as two recordings from the same frequency - You need to set Max Recordings to 2 or more for that to work. In fact if you change max recordings to 2 it will resolve some of the conflicts above and record 2 shows from one tuner where you are recording both from the same channel.
Thanks for replying Ben,

Yes, i'm aware that mythtv doesn't want to use the second input and that's what i'm trying to figure out, I'm quite new to mythtv, a few days new so i' still trying to learn how the thing works under the hood.

Yes I did restart the box after each configuration, not just the backend serviceas mythtv-setup sugests, just to make sure.

Regarding the settign of the max recording to 2, I have tried it, even set it to 5 just to make sure, but no change. After that setting even i I had 5 inputs names HD-Homerun-2 the scheduler still marked the shows in conflict. Tyied to completely delete the schedules and recreate them but it made no differece.

So as I sad I have a HDHomeRun Expand which has 4 tuners. 2 tuners are configured in mythtv ( section capture cards). Each one is then linked to a different video source and last each video source is linked to a different input location. Just like this:

HDhomerun Tuner-2 -> MythTV CaptureCard "HDT-2" -> MythTV VideoSoure "HDRun-2" -> MythTV Input "HDHomerun-2"
HDhomerun Tuner-3 -> MythTV CaptureCard "HDT-3" -> MythTV VideoSoure "HDRun-3" -> MythTV Input "HDHomerun-3"

Ok, names are slighetly diffrenet but you got the point, each phisical tuner has it's own path till the input.

Where shall I look next, are there some logs maybe that would highline this?
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

Are the two video sources different, e.g. with a different set of channels?

If not, then use a single video source. The name of the source doesn't make
any difference, but examples are OTA and Cable.
Steve Goodey
Great Britain

Post by Steve Goodey »

egrimisu wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:23 am
pgbennett wrote:
Regarding the settign of the max recording to 2, I have tried it, even set it to 5 just to make sure, but no change. After that setting even i I had 5 inputs names HD-Homerun-2 the scheduler still marked the shows in conflict. Tyied to completely delete the schedules and recreate them but it made no differece.
I may be misreading this but Peter's suggestion of max recordings is under Input Connections>Interactions between Inputs for that input. Not sure from what you have said above that that is what you have tried. Sorry if this is not the case and you have tried that.
Don't forget the Wiki.
egrimisu
Newcomer
France

Post by egrimisu »

Steve Goodey wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:02 pm
egrimisu wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:23 am
pgbennett wrote:
I may be misreading this but Peter's suggestion of max recordings is under Input Connections>Interactions between Inputs for that input. Not sure from what you have said above that that is what you have tried. Sorry if this is not the case and you have tried that.
Hi Steve and thanks for the reply,

I have already tried that but had no effect, unfortunate.
yawlhoo
Senior
United States of America

Post by yawlhoo »

I am having a similar problem trying to setup a HDHomerun Connect Quatro (4 tuners). I also have 0.29, Mythbuntu 16.04. All 4 tuners are defined in setup, connected to an antenna for OTA TV. I suspect some misconfiguration, but I don't see a way to troubleshoot exactly where the problem is coming from.
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Post by pgbennett »

You should only have one video source and all of the tuners should be attached to the same video source.

Is it set up like that?
yawlhoo
Senior
United States of America

Post by yawlhoo »

The only source is the OTA antenna. All 4 tuners are attached to it. So yes, it's "setup like that."

The conflict seems to be at a higher level, any two programs can be simultaneously recorded, but going beyond that brings in conflicts, whereas there should be enough tuners to deal with the request to record.

It's difficult to do tests, setting up multiple recordings is arduous.
yawlhoo
Senior
United States of America

Post by yawlhoo »

Here's an example. I am recording two shows (one randomly chosen) [see attached screenshot]
Screenshot 2018-02-10 at 7.22.40 PM.png
Screenshot 2018-02-10 at 7.22.40 PM.png (114.92 KiB) Viewed 2164 times
I attempt to record another random program, but it won't go [see attached screenshot]:
Screenshot 2018-02-10 at 7.26.47 PM.png
Screenshot 2018-02-10 at 7.26.47 PM.png (69.4 KiB) Viewed 2164 times
It's not clear what is happening.
yawlhoo
Senior
United States of America

Post by yawlhoo »

I resolved my particular problem: I had been using a "direct connection" between the backend and hdhomerun, i.e., the tuner was connected to a private network "static IP address in the 169.254.x.y range" according to the docs on the Silicon Dust website. As shown above this works but with problems.

I reconnected the hdhomerun, having my router give it a static IP address, reran the setup, and presto! everything works, as the screenshot shows, I am able to record 4 shows simultaneously.
Attachments
Screenshot 2018-02-10 at 9.50.32 PM.png
Screenshot 2018-02-10 at 9.50.32 PM.png (162.59 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
yawlhoo
Senior
United States of America

Re: (Solved) Record conflict on 0.29 under Ubuntu 16.04

Post by yawlhoo »

FOLLOWUP TO ABOVE: It bothered me that the "direct connection" first attempted above did not work. Silicon Dust is a very good tech company and their instructions are usually rock solid.

I realized I had achieved a "169.254.x.y" address using the nm-connection-editor and choosing "link-local." I redid the connection using the configuration "shared to other computers", which gives the HDHR an address of 10.42.0.212. (I also tried to use "manual" to give an address in the 169.254.x.y range but this didn't work.) This works, I am able to record using all 4 tuners at once.