Need help scanning for satellite channels [was: using phpmyadmin to edit mythtv channels]

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
Yvette
Newcomer
New Zealand

Need help scanning for satellite channels [was: using phpmyadmin to edit mythtv channels]

Post by Yvette »

Hey all.

Can anyone help me understand how I can see mythtv tables using phpmyadmin? I've got phpmyadmin up and running, and can log in as phpmyadmin user, but I don't see the mythconverg database. Is this just a permissions setting in mysql somewhere?

From the mysql shell, with user mythtv, I can see the mythconverg tables, including the channel table that I'm interested in modifying, so all that side looks good.

thanks.
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Re: using phpmyadmin to edit mythtv channels

Post by bill6502 »

Hi,

Using tools outside of MythTV isn't recommended. It will void your warranty.
While some changes are trivial, e.g. the visible flag, others affect additional
tables. The preferred solution is the built-in channel editor.

There is a tool that uses the MythTV Services API, see: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Editor
and the link to github is in that Wiki under Setup. It allows making single or
bulk changes through a GUI.

I don't use phpmyadmin so can't offer any help there.
Yvette
Newcomer
New Zealand

Re: using phpmyadmin to edit mythtv channels

Post by Yvette »

Thanks. I'd not seen that tool - it looks similar to the channel editor in the backend setup program. It does look like a better approach than what I was proposing.

This is all just because I've not been able to get the backend to successfully scan for channels on my DVB-S and DVB-T (dual-set up) arrangement. All this manually specifying of frequencies and SR-FEC type settings is a PITA to be honest. It's not required when you purchase a new TV, so why does MythTV require it?

Are there other tools/scripts that can more easily scan the satellite and terrestrial connections to come up with a channel listing or even directly populate the channels database? If anyone says the backend method (mentioned above) actually works for them with little interaction, then please expand on how because I just don't see it.

THANKS !
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Re: Need help scanning for satellite channels [was: using phpmyadmin to edit mythtv channels]

Post by bill6502 »

I changed your initial topic, maybe that will get some more hits
(don't use it myself, so won't be of any help.)

Maybe this on the Wiki:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual ... _satellite