Todd Zuercher
Newcomer
United States of America

Debian Instructions

Post by Todd Zuercher »

I was trying to follow the instructions here:
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Debian
To install Mythtv on Debian 9.
I've managed to get down to the last step, Installing. (The deb files are built).
What is hanging me up at this point is this sentence. "Once you have the correct Release version in your repository, install the package, as follows:"
How the heck do I put the Release version in my repository so that "apt-get install mythtv" will work? There are no instructions for this seemingly simple step. So simple that the writer of the wiki neglected to include it. My "Google-Fu" must be weak.
natanojl
Developer
Sweden

Re: Debian Instructions

Post by natanojl »

That is a bit odd. I would have used sudo dpkg -i package-name.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Todd Zuercher
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by Todd Zuercher »

I thought the main advantage of building the debs, was to be able to use apt-get install. If that doen't work what is the point? If I have to use dpkg, I may as well have just installed from source. Or are there advantages I'm unaware of to useing dpkg?
natanojl
Developer
Sweden

Post by natanojl »

apt-get uses dpkg internally so there is not much difference between the two except that apt-get also installs any dependencies required. Is that the advantage of apt-get you were after? Otherwise I don't see why you would refuse to use dpkg when you are already building your own packages.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk