Decoder timed out waiting for free video buffers

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
miticdav
Newcomer
Italy

Decoder timed out waiting for free video buffers

Post by miticdav »

Hi everybody! My machine was working as usual and suddenly I get this error: "Decoder timed out waiting for free video buffers" as I try to watch any recordings. I can watch LiveTv, but if I pause the video...Frontend freeze. If I use the Backend from another PC, everything is fine: I can watch my recordings and pause LiveTv. Try to change video profiles - no luck - changed video card - no luck - reinstalled frontend - no luck. Do not know what to try. My system upgraded 2 months ago to Mythbuntu 16.04.02, latest Mythtv 28.0...I attach the pastebin of the log...
Thanks in advance for your attention!
Dave
Attachments
D6ffiY3u.txt
(179.97 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
natanojl
Developer
Sweden

Re: Decoder timed out waiting for free video buffers

Post by natanojl »

Hi! I think the problem is that you don't have a desktop environment where there is a screensaver with D-Bus support. Unfortunately the inhibition of the screensaver via D-Bus is done synchronously and if there is no reply it will block for 25 seconds. This throws off the player in some way. We can change this to be asynchronous but in the mean time, please check if there is something different between the desktop environments on the two systems.
miticdav
Newcomer
Italy

Post by miticdav »

...dear natanojl, thanks for your reply! But I have not changed anything...just upgraded Mythbuntu from 14.04->16.04, and it was working for months...then suddenly it stopped working. Are you suggesting that some update changed my desktop environment? It always was xfce with Mythbuntu...what do I have to check? TIA
natanojl
Developer
Sweden

Post by natanojl »

Something must have changed on your system, whether it be a package or setting.
Maybe gnome-settings-daemon is running? It seems to register the org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver service but likely does not respond unless Gnome is running. Try and kill it and restart mythfrontend.
miticdav
Newcomer
Italy

Post by miticdav »

...any ideas? I have tried everything with no luck...on a system that has been working for almosta 10 years...now with better HW...
miticdav
Newcomer
Italy

Post by miticdav »

natanojl wrote:Something must have changed on your system, whether it be a package or setting.
Maybe gnome-settings-daemon is running? It seems to register the org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver service but likely does not respond unless Gnome is running. Try and kill it and restart mythfrontend.
Great! That was it! Somehow gnome-settings-daemon was running - so I disabled it in startup apps and the problem is solved! Thank you so much for this - probably the worst problem that ever happen to me in all this time using the fabulous MythTV! :D