Missing "watch this channel" option from the program guide

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
53ri41
Newcomer
United States of America

Missing "watch this channel" option from the program guide

Post by 53ri41 »

When I select the program guide from the main menu (of MythTV's frontend), navigate to an active show, then select the show, I am not presented with the option to watch that channel live.
I know that it should be present, from watching a you-tube MythTV demo.

Frontend main menu > program guide > select-any-show > I have several recording options, but nothing about watching it live.
dizygotheca wrote: It should appear if you have free tuners that are attached to the 'Video Source' containing the channel.
So misconfigured video sources can prevent it.

I assume (mythtv-setup):
- You've only one video source & both tuners are attached to it.
- You're only using EIT
- Channel scanning worked (reasonably well).

Unforunately logging isn't sufficient here.
If you start a new thread I'll add instructions for dumping the necessary info.
Your 'mythtv-setup' assumptions are correct.
I would say that channel scanning worked very well, I got the expected array of channels, no more, no less, and got the same (or VERY close) scan results from both tuners.

I appreciate your continued support.
-Cyril
dizygotheca
Developer
Great Britain

Re: Missing "watch this channel" option from the program gui

Post by dizygotheca »

and got the same (or VERY close) scan results from both tuners
Channels are attached to the (single) video source, so you should only need to scan from one tuner; other tuners using the same video source will get them automatically. However, it shouldn't cause any problems.

Firstly, check it's missing on all/most channels (you haven't just chosen a dud).
Themes could remove the option but I assume you're using a standard one.

Try:

Code: Select all

$mythfrontend -v channel:debug
and post a snippet from when you show the menu:
I'm expecting

RemoteRequestFreeInputInfo ...
ChanId (...) - no
53ri41
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by 53ri41 »

dizygotheca wrote:Firstly, check it's missing on all/most channels (you haven't just chosen a dud).
Themes could remove the option but I assume you're using a standard one.

Try:

$mythfrontend -v channel:debug
and post a snippet from when you show the menu:
I'm expecting

RemoteRequestFreeInputInfo ...
ChanId (...) - no
I was using the mythbuntu theme, but it's happening on the mythcenter-wide theme as well.
I checked the current time-slot of ALL of the channels, and none of them offer the option to watch live.
I ran the verbose debug command, and went to the menu. In the log, I did not see the strings that you were expecting.
[ mythfrontend log ]

where-to now?
-Cyril
perkins1724
Junior
Australia

Post by perkins1724 »

Just to check are you using the menu key (default 'm') or the select key (default 'enter') when you select a program from the guide.

On my theme (it may vary across all themes) if I select the program using 'enter' I get:
Record this showing
Record all showings
Record one showing
etc etc etc

but no 'watch this channel' option

If I select the program using m I get:
Watch this channel
Record This
Recording Options
Program Details
Jump to time
etc etc etc
perkins1724
Junior
Australia

Post by perkins1724 »

I have looked at this a little bit today and unless I am mistaken (it happens) two of the options available from the EPG grid are:

SELECT - which is commonly bound to the enter, return and space keys.
MENU - which is commonly bound to the 'm' key.

SELECT brings up a variable list of options depending on the state of the highlighted program but commonly:
Record this showing
Record all showings
Record one showing (this episode)
Record all showings (this channel)
Edit recording rule

But no "Watch this channel" option.

MENU brings up a variable list of options as well but commonly:
Watch This Channel
Record This
Recording Options
Program Details
Jump To Time
Reverse Channel Order
Channel Search

As far as I can tell these option lists are hardcoded and cannot be overridden by the theme so should be identical across all themes.
53ri41
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by 53ri41 »

perkins1724 wrote:Just to check are you using the menu key (default 'm') or the select key (default 'enter') when you select a program from the guide.
[...]
Thank you Perkins.

I was definitely using the [select] option (sometimes enter, sometimes spacebar). I have not tried [menu] (I won't be able to test until later today).
This will certainly make the setup less remote friendly, if I need a unique [select] to have the option to watch a program from the epg.

Within the EPG, if [menu] displays the option to watch live TV, then this thread is solved, and thank you all for your help.
-Cyril

Is there a benefit or purpose to NOT have the watch option present during a [select] key-press? I imagine that's the default choice and expectation of most users looking for program options while in the epg*. Perhaps I need to better understand the intended workflow of mythtv.
Admittedly, my PVR expectations have been shaped by commercial boxes, Windows MCE, and JRIVER; I usually start at the EPG if looking for something to watch (OR record), or I start at recorded shows, to catch up on stuff.

* Or [select] immediately tunes the station, while [menu] displays options (including watch live)

...new thread, I suppose...
perkins1724
Junior
Australia

Post by perkins1724 »

As I understand it the reasoning is more because it is a shared code path with other areas (ie a Manage Recordings section) rather than a deliberate decision to omit it.

I've actually coded a patch to allow the option to appear in limited circumstances (essentially when selecting programs that are close to the current time) but it is unlikely to be accepted pending a better, more robust solution (if one can be found).

Using the 'menu' action at least does allow it to be worked around even if a bit unintuitive in some circumstances.
dizygotheca
Developer
Great Britain

Post by dizygotheca »

Mark actually raised it on the users list https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/607729

I forgot to reply before I lost the thread, but if Mark raises a feature ticket with his patch I'll add my comments there.
In summary: I think just adding "Watch" to the popup dialog is the way to go.
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Post by pgbennett »

I also have this on my list of things to do. I think one of the following options:

1. Add "watch" to the pop up menu as suggested above.
2. Automatically watch if you are selecting a program that is already running.
3. Somehow distinguish between the guide selected from the main menu and the guide selected from the manage recordings menu and have different defaults.
4. have a popup that displays two options "watch" and "record" if you select a program already running, and from there either go to watch or the recordings popup selection.
perkins1724
Junior
Australia

Post by perkins1724 »

I have created a trac ticket here: https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13021

so that it doesn't get completely lost over time, in case anyone wants to comment further.