HWE (Hardware enablement stack) on Mythbuntu 14.04

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
yawlhoo
Junior
United States of America

HWE (Hardware enablement stack) on Mythbuntu 14.04

Post by yawlhoo » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:42 am

I have a system with separate front and backends, each which is a NUC. I've been seeing a message on the frontend, to the effect that the "hardware enablement stack" on the frontend's mythbuntu 14.04 system had reached end of life. (Apparently this is not a problem on the backend.) Reading up on this I found that I could upgrade the stack. (I forget the exact command I ran, I think it is suggested in the output of "hwe-support-status --verbose".)

This seemed to work but then I found that there was no sound (HDMI connection to a Sony soundbar.) I fiddled with the audio setup, but nothing I did would make it work.

In desperation, my next attempt was to do an in-place upgrade to 16.04, by issuing "do-release-upgrade."

Normally with Linux systems, when I have dug myself in 6' deep, trying to get out by doing something like the above digs me 6' deeper. But in this case, the upgrade proceeded nicely, and as far as I can tell, at the end I am left with a working frontend, including sound!

I'm posting this as information for others.

yawlhoo
Junior
United States of America

Re: HWE (Hardware enablement stack) on Mythbuntu 14.04

Post by yawlhoo » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:49 pm

Waal natcherally, it was too easy and sound issues have cropped up and are biting my ass.

Sound with my system, an HDMI cable carrying video and sound to a Sony soundbar, worked perfectly before the upgrades noted above.

I don't understand what the problem is, exactly, sometimes sound works fine, other time it does not. Lots of configuration attempts go nowhere.

If I solve it, I will post back here with my solution.

yawlhoo
Junior
United States of America

Re: HWE (Hardware enablement stack) on Mythbuntu 14.04

Post by yawlhoo » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:12 am

OK, after months of torment, erratic no sound (for example, last night I booted the system 3 times before on the third boot I finally had sound) I just got fed up and just to do SOMETHING completely reinstalled the system with 16.04.2 LTS and sound seems to be back to working.

Never did figure out where the problem lay, but IF the reinstall fixed the problem, then it was worth the effort.

Phew!