Upgrade-Debian mythtv-database 0.27.0+fixes20140403 fails

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
Wroxter
Newcomer
Canada

Upgrade-Debian mythtv-database 0.27.0+fixes20140403 fails

Post by Wroxter »

Hi, my latest upgrade from an earlier version of 27 fixes had issues updating the database (and as a result the mythtv) package. The combined BE-FE is still working but after some exploring, I am not quite sure what to do next.

Aptitude outputs on an attempt (after the orginal failure) to reinstall mythtv-database : E Internal error, no file name for mythtv-database:amd64.

Based on a ubuntu solution for another file with this type of "no file name" error suggests downloading the deb file and installing that http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2074362 .

I have not tried that as aptitude does seem to have the .deb name as it should be.

The terminal output when trying to install both mythtv-database and mythtv:

Code: Select all

failed to perform requested operation on package. Trying to recover:
Setting up mythtv-database (0.27.0+fixes20140403-dmo1) ...
Failed to connect to database: Can't connect to MySQL server on '10.0.0.50' (111) at -e line 5, <> line 1.
Failed to connect to database: Can't connect to MySQL server on '10.0.0.50' (111) at -e line 5, <> line 1.
dpkg: error processing package mythtv-database (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 255
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mythtv:
mythtv depends on mythtv-database (>= 0.27.0+fixes20140403-dmo1); however:
Package mythtv-database is not configured yet.
The terminal output suggests to me that perhaps the mythconverg password hasn't been picked up although it does pick up the right IP address for the database.

I checked all 6(!) of the config.xml files and while one originally did not have it, all now do have the password, although a couple of these files have UDN and USN configuration options set while others do not.

Code: Select all

/var/lib/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml
/etc/mythtv/config.xml
/root/.mythtv/config.xml
/var/lib/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml
/home/username/.mythtv/config.xml
/data/mythtv/config.xml 

Another thread http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/m ... ers/529396 suggests editing /var/lib/dpkg/info/mythtv-database.postinst directly to include the password.
I do not have much experience with script files but treading lightly:

I changed the line mythtv_password="therealpassword", but did not change the admin_password as I was unsure if that is the root sql password or the mythtv password.

I see line 44 of that file is MYTHSQL=/usr/share/mythtv/mythsql
If the final "mythsql" in that line is a file or a directory I do not have either. A 'sql' directory has been installed there through by past mythtv install scripts. I did change that line to read MYTHSQL=/usr/share/mythtv/sql but that did not fix the connection to the database errors.

Any recommendations on what to do next?

Thanks

Wayne
Wroxter
Newcomer
Canada

Re: Upgrade-Debian mythtv-database 0.27.0+fixes20140403 fail

Post by Wroxter »

First of all thanks to all who have previously looked at this to see if they could help. I was cautious and slow in the next sessions for the fix with the risk of loosing myth for a while while season finales were being aired. I finally got back to it on the weekend and upgraded to 27.1 unfortunately the with now a different symptom..

Two corrections to my original post, there are only 5 config.xml files and one of the original mysql.txt files While I am running Debian 3.14-1-amd64 Jessie/Sid - I have been using the deb-multimedia packages since 24.

For those of you who arrived here with a similar problem see http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Config.xml

I am speculating that part of the failure to install the database upgrade and likely the reason for my original problem with the upgrade are the configuration files; for Myth, which I have not really looked at since the original install years ago, and /etc/mysql/my.cnf, Several recent upgrades to Mysql included changes to the bind address of 127.0.0.1 instead of the ip address of the machine. The first time I changed it back, the second last January I let it go as things appeared to be working..

Before upgrading to 27.1 I made all the config.xml files and the my.cnf files consistent and the mythtv-database 27.1 did install, However at that point when the FE started, it went to the setup screen. One of the errors showing up in the startup terminal was
2014-06-08 14:10:12.035296 I Added logging to the console
2014-06-08 14:10:12.035330 E (old)Settings::ReadSettings(settings.txt) - No such file settings.txt

That one was fixed by copying the old mysql.txt file to settings.txt

In the FE program guide, one can trigger a recording and that shows as up as a recording rule in that menu item, but
it does not show up as a program that will be recorded in the program guide.
Also upcoming recordings menu shows nothing.
However, the BE is recording programs on all the existing rules, which then show up in recorded programs (as they are being recorded).
Wroxter
Newcomer
Canada

Re: Upgrade-Debian mythtv-database 0.27.0+fixes20140403 fail

Post by Wroxter »

I will be looking at this again in another couple of days and my first thought is to reinstall the database backup from before the upgrade as I suspect the database is corrupted? Any other thoughts?

Wayne