Installing backend to a separate server

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
jarnos
Junior
Finland

Installing backend to a separate server

Post by jarnos »

I want to install the MythTV backend in a separate server. I am wondering what would be best option. The server would be used to do other stuff, too, and I would connect to it by SSH shell. I wonder, if I need to install GUI on the server to be able to run mythtv-setup via SSH shell. In my old system I can use GUI software over SSH as I have "ForwardX11 yes" and "ForwardX11Trusted yes" set in SSH config, but the old server has regular Xubuntu installed in it. Now I wonder, if I had better install e.g. Xubuntu Minimal or pure Ubuntu server install (from which I have no experience of).

I try to install version 34 of MythTV there. I think I would setup a root partition and a data partition in the SSD storage of the server. Do you recommend some specific file systems? As data will not be mere MythTV stuff, I think it would be better to mount the data partition as /srv/ rather than /var/lib/mythtv. How do you make MythTV create its recording directories under /srv?

I also try to connect the hard drive of the old server to be able to copy the recordings and the database to the new one. The old one has version 31 of MythTV so the database needs some conversion.
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Re: Installing backend to a separate server

Post by pgbennett »

mythtv-setup is deprecated and replaced by a web application. You can run the web app setup from another server using http://backend:6544. So you do not need an X11 GUI on the backend or forwarded over ssh. You need a web browser on the subnet where your backend is located.
white_haired_uncle
Senior
United States of America

Re: Installing backend to a separate server

Post by white_haired_uncle »

jarnos wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:51 pm
I try to install version 34 of MythTV there. I think I would setup a root partition and a data partition in the SSD storage of the server. Do you recommend some specific file systems? As data will not be mere MythTV stuff, I think it would be better to mount the data partition as /srv/ rather than /var/lib/mythtv. How do you make MythTV create its recording directories under /srv?
Note, we're probably skipping some steps here in installing/configuring a separate backend, but to answer your question:

Read this. It's a little outdated, but should be a good start:
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Setup_Storage_Directories

Then you will actually configure them here:
http://mythbackend:6544/setupwizard/storage-groups

(note, mythbackend is the name of my one and only backend. In your case, I'm not sure if which host you point your browser -- pretty sure, but not going to guess).

You might also mention why you want a separate backend. It's entirely possible you have a good reason to go that route, but it's also possible that maybe it's not the way to go and you'll end up doing a lot of unnecessary work.