MythTV and Mythbuntu Wiki Pages

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
heyted
Senior
United States of America

MythTV and Mythbuntu Wiki Pages

Post by heyted »

I updated the help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV wiki page, and I created a new mythtv.org/wiki/Mythbuntu page. Some of the information on the Ubuntu wiki page may still be old. Do you see anything that needs to change? The new Mythbuntu page is blank for now, but I hope to add some content today or within a few days. On the new Mythbuntu page, I would like to describe what Mythbuntu currently is and include some helpful information. What should be included on the new Mythbuntu wiki page?

Some items that should be included on the new Mythbuntu wiki page:
  1. Mythbuntu never completely went away. When the Mythbuntu distribution was discontinued, the Mythbuntu MythTV Updates PPAs remained and are frequently updated.
  2. The Mythbuntu project previously had a configuration utility named Mythbuntu Control Centre that could be installed on an Ubuntu system, and it could be used to install MythTV and configure the system. Mythbuntu Control Panel is the successor to MCC, and it retains the ability to install MythTV and contains some of the most important configuration components.
  3. Mythbuntu Control Panel can be used to make the installation and system configuration easier, faster, and less prone to configuration errors. See mythtv.org/wiki/Mythbuntu_Control_Panel for MCP installation instructions and more information it.
  4. One of the reasons that the Mythbuntu distribution was created was to provide a system that was minimal with only essential software. The need to have a separate distribution to accomplish this no longer exists since Ubuntu and Xubuntu now have a minimum install option when using the normal installation method.
  5. The Mythbuntu theme is a sleek black theme ... (include screen shot).
  6. A Mythbuntu MythTV Updates PPA can be added using MCP or by entering the following in a terminal ...
Ted | My blog
gedakc
Junior
Canada

Re: MythTV and Mythbuntu Wiki Pages

Post by gedakc »

Thanks heyted for the explanation of what Mythbuntu Control Panel does. I did not realize that it would actually install MythTV on *buntu and hence minimize the need for a Mythbuntu distro. Your efforts will help to make this key information more prominent.

The next time I set up an x86-64 computer with MythTV I'll need to give it a try.
danielwlewis
Junior
United States of America

Post by danielwlewis »

Two questions from a newbie and LInux neophyte:

(1) Your instructions for the Setup option within MCP say, "If the mythtv user is being used when running MythTV Backend Setup, mythfilldatabase can be allowed to run, but do not start the backend when prompted." If I don't start the backend this way, then (a) how do I start it, and (b) does it need to be started from the mythtv user account, or can I start it from my personal account?

(2) I ran a scan, and although it found a lot of channels, there were no XMLTV id's when I looked at the channels with MythWeb. Without them, mythfilldatabase refuses to add any listings. What am I missing?

Thanks!
Dan
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

Thanks for the questions.
how do I start it
You don't. The backend will automatically start after running MythTV Backend Setup (mythtv-setup) and rebooting. It is necessary if desired to set the frontend to start when the computer boots, but the backend will automatically be set start each time the computer boots.
does it need to be started from the mythtv user account, or can I start it from my personal account?
When the backend automatically starts after logging in as yourself, the backend user will be mythtv.
I ran a scan, and although it found a lot of channels, there were no XMLTV id's when I looked at the channels with MythWeb. Without them, mythfilldatabase refuses to add any listings. What am I missing?
If using Schedules Direct with MythTV v31, it is necessary to install the XMLTV software and use MythTV Backend Setup and optionally the command line to set up fetching the guide data. MCP can help install the XMLTV software. The id's should be present if setup correctly. Please see https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV for some helpful info. It may be better to create a separate thread in the troubleshooting section if needed for specific help with this.
Ted | My blog