MythWeb problem

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on OSX
sfatula
Senior
United States of America

MythWeb problem

Post by sfatula »

So, got this mostly running today. Seems to all work, installed via Macports. Biggest problem is MacPorts uses mariadb. The port correctly sets the socket in the apache config for php, so, that is good. However, if you go to a recorded program screen, and, click on a recording, you see the small frame grab of the video, click on the video, which should download it, and, you get a cannot connect to the database error.

The reason appears to be the perl code. It's trying to use a socket file /opt/local/var/run/mysql56/mysqld.sock, the wrong one of course. The correct socket file is /opt/local/var/run/mariadb/mysqld.sock

So, I changed line 47 of mythweb.pl to:

Code: Select all

our $dbh = DBI->connect("dbi:mysql:database=$ENV{'db_name'};mysql_socket=/opt/local/var/run/mariadb/mysqld.sock:host=$ENV{'db_server'}",
And it now runs. Not sure where to configure the perl socket, not a perl guy.

Somehow, the port uses mysql56 client instead of mariadb.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Re: MythWeb problem

Post by pvr4me »

I would guess that the database access module got installed with the defult variant (+mysql56) whereas we need +mariadb. You can check with the 'port installed command'. On my system, I have:

$ port installed p5.16-dbd-mysql
The following ports are currently installed:
  p5.16-dbd-mysql @4.31.0_0+mariadb (active)
Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.
sfatula
Senior
United States of America

Post by sfatula »

Yep, you are correct. So, something in the myth core port caused the +mysql56. I did not have mysql56 on this machine, only mariadb.

Easy enough to replace it though.

So, mythweb works well it appears. Can even play on iPad. Using the ASX stream link actually plays it in the browser. Clicking direct download only downloads a pointer apparently, so, does not actually download the video. Have to figure out how to download one. Perhaps with non safari browser I can.

Thanks!
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

sfatula wrote:Yep, you are correct. So, something in the myth core port caused the +mysql56. I did not have mysql56 on this machine, only mariadb.
Um, no. I led you astray in our prior thread. You should have installed mythweb with:

sudo port install mythweb.27 +mariadb+mariadb55+python27+perl5_16
That would have overridden the default +mysql56 variant in p5.16-dbd-mysql and used +mariadb variant.
Easy enough to replace it though.
Have you got it working? When you 'sudo port deactivate p5.16-dbd-mysql && sudo port install p5.16-dbd-mysql +mariadb', it is almost certainly going to complain that mythweb.27 (and mythtv-core.27) depend on the active version and do you want to force? I've found it better to deactivate each dependant in turn and then install with the right variants.
So, mythweb works well it appears. Can even play on iPad. Using the ASX stream link actually plays it in the browser. Clicking direct download only downloads a pointer apparently, so, does not actually download the video. Have to figure out how to download one. Perhaps with non safari browser I can. !
Thats...unexpected! You're recording OTA, right? HDTV? I didn't think the iPad could play MPEG2?! Or are you transcoding? I've played around with HLS a bit but I can seldom wrestle the iPad out of my wife's hands!

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/HLS

Craig
sfatula
Senior
United States of America

Post by sfatula »

I am pretty sure I did not install it with those options, I thought (stupidly) because I already had mariadb, didn't need them. Not good!

All I did, was one command, port install p5.16-dbd-mysql +mariadb, I don't think you have to uninstall or deactivate any more. I think those were the old days. Works great.

OTA, HDTV. But of course it wouldn't play natively, though, it would in some players (but I don't own AC3 license to some IOS apps, so, video would work, but not audio). But I knew all that at before I even loaded mythTV. So, I do in fact run handbrake cli to make a compatible mp4 at the end of every recording as a user job. Since this is just for time shifting, ultimate quality is not an issue, I just use the normal preset and my own shell script borrowed mostly from some others. So, a 30 minute show takes 7 minutes to turn into a very decent (even high quality looking) mp4. So, time is not an issue. Not long after the last recording for a night is done, they are all mp4. This is my first night though with my custom schedule, am recording 5 channels at once and transcoding them via handbrake cli. I can use the machine at the same time, not an issue. For coding, mysql, whatever. The recordings go on a different drive though. So, will tune any defect I find from tonights run, and, maybe tomorrow night, all will be well. I forgot I restart nextPVR each night, so, it was recording and blocked the 7PM shows since it locks the tuners. So, I disabled it, have to remember before going to bed to totally disable nextpvr and the restart so that tomorrow night, might get a total full run. At least 8PM is recording.

Always something! Now I am looking at mobilemyth. Seems like it *should* run on Mac OSX. mod_mono certainly exists. Mobilemyth might be good. But, am leaving town until Sept, so, might not mess with it before then.

Know of anyone who has tried running it on OSX?
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

The MacPorts project goes to some lengths to allow us to run multiple database versions at the same time. Accordingly, other ports can't 'know' which database manager you want to use. They'll default to one and offer variants so they can work with other reasonable choices. My MythTV ports are an exception that way. Presumably we could use mysql51, mysql55, mysql56, mariadb55 or mariadb10.x. However, that would be a support nightmare for me.

I've never tried MobileMyth but I have played with George Nassas' MythExpress. That, and a few other alternate frontends are hosted at:

https://github.com/MythTV-Clients

You can use MacPorts to install npm and then use it to install George's project very easily. MythExpress streams HLS to Safari on the iPad or iPhone. There are a couple of unusual aspects to the interface (Hi George!) but it is all pretty well documented.

Craig
sfatula
Senior
United States of America

Post by sfatula »

What does Georges MythExpress give you that MythWeb does not? I don't see a summary of features anywhere, just curious what it adds for you?
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

sfatula wrote:What does Georges MythExpress give you that MythWeb does not? I don't see a summary of features anywhere, just curious what it adds for you?
I'm not using MythExpress regularly; I did some testing with it months ago. As I said, "our" iPad stays firmly in my wife's hands!

MythExpress seemed to be pretty good at transcoding recordings and delivering them on the fly to the iPad. I'd don't normally transcode our recordings as I usually play them via Mythfrontend. If I use MythWeb (and I don't all that much), I use it for scheduling recordings.

Craig