Macports new version, and a question

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on OSX
sfatula
Senior
United States of America

Macports new version, and a question

Post by sfatula »

Just an FYI for those who may not realize it. mythtv-core.27 seems to now be V0.27.5. I installed it via Macports and seems to run fine. Got guide setup, now just have to move on to recording from hdhomerun.

My question is, what is mythtv-pkg.27 for, as opposed to mythtv-core.27? It's one version behind apparently. Not sure if I want it or not?
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Re: Macports new version, and a question

Post by pvr4me »

You're quick off the mark--I just updated mythtv-core.27 yesterday!

mythtv-core.27 installs all the MythTV software and the database client along with all supporting libraries and utilities.

Notice that to get a sane install, you need to ensure that the right variants of some of the packages are installed thusly:

Code: Select all

sudo port install mythtv-core.27 +mariadb+mariadb55+python27+perl5_16+startupitem
To run the machine as a backend, however, you also need mariadb-server ('sudo port install mariadb-server').

If you want to use MythWeb, you need to install mythweb.27 ('sudo port install mythweb.27').

The mythtv-pkg.27 port is used to produce the all-in-one installer* and includes everything above. It isn't intended to be installed directly in MacPorts at present. (It can be...but you have to pass a '-f' flag to force past a deficiency in MacPorts.)

Craig
* See https://sourceforge.net/projects/macpor ... installer/
DO NOT install both through the all-in-one installer and directly via MacPorts. BAD things will happen and I'll tell you to nuke everything and start over. You've started with MacPorts directly--stay with it. BTW, the all-in-one installer is still at 0.27.4. I intend to make a 0.27.5 version available in the next few days. However, I find I've got to update Parallels Desktop so I can build and test...
Formerly the MacPorts guy.
sfatula
Senior
United States of America

Post by sfatula »

Ok, I see. I did install core, and, that's all I needed. Being a developer, I already had mariadb, etc. So, core was just perfect. I have to say, it's all worked beautifully thus far. Surprisingly, mythtv plays antenna recordings on my Panasonic and my Samsung TVs via uPnP. Whereas, NextPVR would not play on either, had to resort to serviio to patch them up. Not sure why, they both were recorded using hdhomerun tuner. Don't care though, it's working and that's what matters.

Obviously, the UI is not the greatest. But, not going to use the UI much after it's all setup.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

sfatula wrote:...Obviously, the UI is not the greatest. But, not going to use the UI much after it's all setup.
Which UI? Everyone agrees that mythtv-setup is "sub-optimal". (Which is like saying the Marianas Trench is below sea level!) Some work has been done to replace mythtv-setup with a browser-based set of pages served from an unconfigured mythbackend. Obviously, this isn't in 0.27 and it is not clear when 0.28 will emerge. And the web-based replacement may not be complete by the time the devs want to push out 0.28. Nonetheless, it is, as you say, something you pretty much only have to deal with once.

OTOH, note that the UI for mythfrontend is themed. Look under Setup and you can try out some different themes to see if there is one you like better.

Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.
sfatula
Senior
United States of America

Post by sfatula »

pvr4me wrote:
sfatula wrote:...Obviously, the UI is not the greatest. But, not going to use the UI much after it's all setup.
Which UI? Everyone agrees that mythtv-setup is "sub-optimal". (Which is like saying the Marianas Trench is below sea level!) Some work has been done to replace mythtv-setup with a browser-based set of pages served from an unconfigured mythbackend. Obviously, this isn't in 0.27 and it is not clear when 0.28 will emerge. And the web-based replacement may not be complete by the time the devs want to push out 0.28. Nonetheless, it is, as you say, something you pretty much only have to deal with once.
Sub-optimal! :lol: The browser based, when it happens, will clearly resolve that issue. The other one is myth frontend. Yes, there are themes, have not changed it yet. I guess it at first appeared just like myth setup, a kludgy linux style screen. I am on a 27" display, everything is huge, buttons, etc. Maybe it's actually the opposite of what I said, we'll see once I get around to playing with the themes.