mythTV on system with mySQL Already Installed

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on OSX
ajscilingo
Newcomer
United States of America

mythTV on system with mySQL Already Installed

Post by ajscilingo »

Hi, I'm attempting to install mythTV backend on a Mac Mini that already has mySQL database installed on it. Initially I went here to read up on how to install mythTV on a mac: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_on_Mac_OS_X which states that I need to download and install mySQL separately, though it seems the macports package includes it's own version of mySQL? I did some further reading on mySQL on mac and found that the official package from mySQL/Oracle is still using some older conventions such as StartupItems which has been deprecated for some time now and is actually no longer used at all in OS 10.10 (Yosemite). That led me to the MMV mySQL git Script that I used to install MySQL on Yosemite: http://code.macminivault.com. Thinking that this would be pretty much the same as installing a mySQL install package I continued following the instructions on the first link I post and installed the latest MacPorts mythTV 0.27 package. After installing and trying to run the setup it complains that it cannot find mySQL server even though I can confirm that the version I installed via the git script is up and running and I can connect to it via the mythtv user from the machine I'm hosting it on itself and remotely. Can I use the macports version with an already installed instance of mySQL like I have setup if not should I build mythTV from scratch?
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Re: mythTV on system with mySQL Already Installed

Post by pvr4me »

I believe it is _possible_ to use another mysql but why? The point of the MacPorts all-in-one installer is that it gives you everything needed for Myth-on-OSX and a set of cookbook instructions to make it work https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MacPorts.

I've looked briefly at the MacMiniVault site; I don't have a spare machine to try installing on. No idea why it didn't work out of the box.

I'd suggest uninstalling the MMV version of MySQL. (You may need to ask MMV for help/instructions.) Note that they install a mysql configuration file at /etc/my.cnf and you have to ensure it is deleted if you want to use the version of mysql supplied by my all-in-one installer.

As you say, your other option is to use the official packaging script to build and install Myth. I think that is quite a bit more difficult to do...that's why I created the MacPorts option.

Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.
ajscilingo
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by ajscilingo »

pvr4me wrote:I believe it is _possible_ to use another mysql but why? The point of the MacPorts all-in-one installer is that it gives you everything needed for Myth-on-OSX and a set of cookbook instructions to make it work https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MacPorts.

I've looked briefly at the MacMiniVault site; I don't have a spare machine to try installing on. No idea why it didn't work out of the box.

I'd suggest uninstalling the MMV version of MySQL. (You may need to ask MMV for help/instructions.) Note that they install a mysql configuration file at /etc/my.cnf and you have to ensure it is deleted if you want to use the version of mysql supplied by my all-in-one installer.

As you say, your other option is to use the official packaging script to build and install Myth. I think that is quite a bit more difficult to do...that's why I created the MacPorts option.

Craig
The MythTV on Mac OS X wiki kind of confused me as the instructions there ask you to download mySQL separately and I read that before I read the MacPorts Page which contradicts it, funny enough The MythTV on Mac OS X Wiki points to the MacPorts packages when it comes to actually installing MythTV, which is how I even got in this situation in the first place. Is there anyway these two pages could be put in sync? I really only want to install the MythTV Backend, as this machine will act as my mythTV server...and host the web interface as well. If I can get the MacPorts package working with my current instance of mySQL that would be great as I've set it up as such.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

ajscilingo wrote:The MythTV on Mac OS X wiki kind of confused me as the instructions there ask you to download mySQL separately. I really only want to install the MythTV Backend, as this machine will act as my mythTV server...and host the web interface as well. If I can get the MacPorts package working with my current instance of mySQL that would be great as I've set it up as such.
Just to be clear, if you want to run a Myth system on your LAN, a mysql database server *must* be accessible on the network. It can be on the master backend machine OR another machine. But Myth backend won't run without access to mysql.

Then, if *you* can get the MacPorts-version-of-Myth working with another MySQL, great. However, it's not a configuration that I support--I have enough to do helping in the cases where I know how every component is installed and configured! Get your other instance of MySQL uninstalled and I expect you'll have no trouble following the MacPorts wiki page. (Take your time; the most common cause of difficulty is skipping over steps.) If you do have problems, I'll do my best to help.

Re https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mac, that page is quite convoluted. I'd like to add a section explaining the differences between the MacPorts all-in-one installer v. the application bundles, but it will just make the page even more convoluted. That's why everything I post includes a link to the https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MacPorts. Even the installer has a link to that page.

Craig
ajscilingo
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by ajscilingo »

pvr4me wrote:
ajscilingo wrote:The MythTV on Mac OS X wiki kind of confused me as the instructions there ask you to download mySQL separately. I really only want to install the MythTV Backend, as this machine will act as my mythTV server...and host the web interface as well. If I can get the MacPorts package working with my current instance of mySQL that would be great as I've set it up as such.
Just to be clear, if you want to run a Myth system on your LAN, a mysql database server *must* be accessible on the network. It can be on the master backend machine OR another machine. But Myth backend won't run without access to mysql.

Then, if *you* can get the MacPorts-version-of-Myth working with another MySQL, great. However, it's not a configuration that I support--I have enough to do helping in the cases where I know how every component is installed and configured! Get your other instance of MySQL uninstalled and I expect you'll have no trouble following the MacPorts wiki page. (Take your time; the most common cause of difficulty is skipping over steps.) If you do have problems, I'll do my best to help.

Re https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mac, that page is quite convoluted. I'd like to add a section explaining the differences between the MacPorts all-in-one installer v. the application bundles, but it will just make the page even more convoluted. That's why everything I post includes a link to the https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MacPorts. Even the installer has a link to that page.

Craig
Ah I should have been more clear, I meant I want to just run MythTV Backend, including all its dependencies, on my one machine. On a side note I did setup my mySQL instance to allow connections from mythtv@10.0.1.0/255.255.255.0 so any machine on my LAN can reach it as the mythtv user as instructed by the OS X wiki...but I'm going to stick to keeping mySQL on the same box as MythTV backend.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

ajscilingo wrote:Ah I should have been more clear, I meant I want to just run MythTV Backend, including all its dependencies, on my one machine. On a side note I did setup my mySQL instance to allow connections from mythtv@10.0.1.0/255.255.255.0 so any machine on my LAN can reach it as the mythtv user as instructed by the OS X wiki...but I'm going to stick to keeping mySQL on the same box as MythTV backend.
It appears you really want to stick with that version of MySQL. Why? The all-in-one installer has put a copy of mysql (actually the fork, MariaDB*) in the appropriate spots under /opt/dvr. The steps to configure and start it up are on the MacPorts wiki page (see my sig).

Craig
* "mysql Ver 15.1 Distrib 5.5.41-MariaDB, for osx10.X (x86_64)"